No announcement yet.

Race Seat Guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to threadjack but is anyone running the Sparco Sprint 5? I'm 5'10' 145lbs. I was planning to use the stock belt with slide lock until I can afford to buy a 6pt cage.

Originally posted by Ryan...
    It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

seats

.......Tube frames are not as comfy in general...........but they are cheaper.....

I run 2 seats in my e30 track toy. Evo and tube Corbeau.

An Evo 2 will be too wide for you....for sure. Im 6 and 195...narrow hips.......love walks on the beach.......and Rod Stewart..oops wrong forum....lol.....

for me.....an Evo is perfect....so is Cobra Suzuka...both are awesome. The PP is very nice.....the SPG is nicer and more bolstered. PP is good for a DD !....every1 likes em.

Both pass and drvr seats need not be identical.....as stated. I got a tube seat for the pas side to save some funds. Ive run Evos for over 7 yrs...always find em used for 340 or so......

Racetech rocks too........

go sit in as many as you can.......every1 is different.........you are tall...but thin....and what is your waist?......

i drive my Evo for 4 hrs to the Glen.......not bad at all.........now a tube seat would be less comfy.....
      Last edited by JRKOUPE; 05-16-2011, 05:05 AM.
      I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

I'm the same weight and hight as you and have some old Corbeau forzas from the 90's. they're a bit too wide and I flop back and fourth quit a bit. I don't know if the newer ones are narrower or what but I would not suggest them.

As far as comfort goes, I can drive 3 hours strait no problem. My girlfriend gets in the passenger seat and complains on the way to the supermarket. Everyones opinion on comfort is going to be different.

Best bet is to sit in the seats first to get an idea of how snug you want to be in them.

Comment

Originally posted by JRKOUPE View Post
          An Evo 2 will be too wide for you....for sure. Im 6 and 195...narrow hips.......love walks on the beach.......and Rod Stewart..ops wrong forum....lol.....
          made me lol.

31" waist

45" around the shoulders

I was originally looking at other seat aside from tube frame but there aren't many that are:

Cheap
          Aesthetically approved by me
          Cheap
          FIA approved
          Cheap

I'm gonna try to hit some open days at Putnam so I can do some photography. Hopefully there'll be a good selection of guys' seats I can check out.

Originally posted by Ryan...
          It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

The Pole Position shoulder slots will be too low for you. I'm 5'10 (and 1/2) and they were barely high enough. Too low if I use a Hans. VERY comfortable seat though.
            I tried the Cobra Imola GT. Too wide for the car with a full interior but comfortable. Maybe with a stripped interior. Don't know about a regular Imola.
            I ended up with 2 OMP Champ seats. Price is right ($499 ea). Snug fitting for the street, but good for the track with my 32 waist.

Comment

I've wondered why guys that don't fit these seats don't go with a Butler or Kirkey??? If its the non BMW thing i understand.

Comment

I'm 6'3 and sat in a bunch of seats, and ended up with the Sparco Evo2 Plus. It's basically a taller and narrower Evo, is insanely comfortable, and has the shoulder harness slots at the right height.

My recommendation is to sit in a LOT of seats, and buy the best fitting ones. Raise your budget if need be, how much is your life worth to you? Scrimping on safety is the definition of penny wise and pound foolish.
                2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I'm 6'1" and I have a sparco pro 2000. I believe that the harness holes are a bit too short, but I've yet to actually put harnesses in. It fits me perfectly, and I'm 170 with 32" waist.
                  '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                  NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                  Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

If it hasn't been mentioned already, try Momo Start 2007. I'm 6', 230. You heard me. These are wicked comfy, cheap, Fiberglas, FIA and Rally America approved.

Took the car on a four-hour jaunt for log-booking and they did the trick with minimal pain. Snug on me for sure, but no pain, no numbness.

The best part is I bought them sight unseen and I never sat in them until I installed them. It was an 'emergency' of sorts, and I lucked out.

Good luck!
                    www.slapdashracing.com

Comment

Read this. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=106281

Comment

I'm ridin' with a set of JDM ITR recaros. They run about a $1000 for a good set. I'm 6' and about 200. I ended up taking the seats down to the frame and widening the bolsters a hair b/c apparently japanese people are very skinny. The backs on them are adjustable as well so they are definately more comfy than those with a fixed back. Worked out well and they fit like a glove (+ the suede is nice).

Comment

for about $300 you can have a sparco sprint 5, FIA rated seat. I'm about 5.10 175lbs Fits me like a glove... maybe borderline tight for a 6.2 185lb guy. You go to a track event and randomly sit in people's cars. Trying a seat out is KEY!

i also made my own brackets to get the height i wanted. adjustability is based on mounting holes i incorporated at the floor and side mount tabs. My brackets weight in just under 3.75lbs!
                          No more e30s for me.
                          88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                          88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                          91 BMW 325i [sold]
                          86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                          http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
                            for about $300 you can have a sparco sprint 5, FIA rated seat. I'm about 5.10 175lbs Fits me like a glove... maybe borderline tight for a 6.2 185lb guy. You go to a track event and randomly sit in people's cars. Trying a seat out is KEY!
                            Side note to this-- all track guys know and understand that sitting in seats before buying is very important, so just be polite and approach them and ask if they'd let you sit in their seat to test fit. Car guys are good people.
                            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

-- note of sarcasm, good manners implied. ; / we are generally nice people as ^^ mentions.
                              No more e30s for me.
                              88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                              88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                              91 BMW 325i [sold]
                              86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                              http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
                                -- note of sarcasm, good manners implied. ; / we are generally nice people as ^^ mentions.
                                2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                                98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Working...
                                X