Rollcage rear leg position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rollcage rear leg position

I'm getting an 8 point cage put in next week but I'm unsure of the best position for the rear legs.
    I have seen them go to the shock turret, the boot above the spring mounting point, top of the wheel arch and even base of the wheel arch.

Is there a consensus on the best position?

Any advice appreciated

I've built a few E30 cages. I find the shock tower (turret) would be the best, as many are using a 650 to 800 lb spring in the rear and having that reinforced would be best in my opinion. Just my 2 cents!
    Chris Leone
    chrisleonemotorsports.com
    rollcages and fabrication
    Remember cross threading is the only thing stronger than loctite!!

Comment

Check your rulebook. Without a doubt, tying the cage to the shock towers will give you a stiffer chassis. All else being equal, you'd certainly prefer to do so. However, many race classes specifically disallow extending the cage past the front and rear bulkheads.

Think of it this way: some race classes allow you to build a cage for safety purposes only; others allow you to design a cage that also increases performance. Make sure you know your class rules before proceeding!
      sigpic
      1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
      2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

The rear shock towers are OK, not great. The rear spring perches are better (the front of the trunk floor behind the bulkhead).

Comment

The cage in my Pro-3 car is tied to the bottom of the rear shock towers, but the plate they are tied to extend around the tower, to reenforce the whole rear sprung area. Hard to explain, but really stiffened the whole back half of the car.
          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
          2016 Ford Flex
          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Assuming you are still running springs in stock-location, directly above the upper spring perch. On the floor, just as Matt said.

Spring perch is where the majority of the forces are going from the suspension. And its a more robust area of the car for the cage to attach in case of a roll-over or other significant impact.
            Ben
            Thelma-Louise, the '88is Chump Car - back to M20 power!

2014 ChumpCar Season Schedule!
            April 5-6 Autobahn, IL - Sat: 1st! Sun: 3rd
            May23-25 Watkins Glen, NY: 4th, 5th, 4th
            October 4 PittRace Sprints: 2nd in C-class
            October 18-19 NCM, Bowling Green KY: 2nd, 1st!
            Nov 1-2 Watkins Glen - Chumpionship - 1st car to exit the race with significant body damage :(

Find us on FB! Schaut Speed Motorsports

Comment

Working...
            X