Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

m50 (metal cap) oil filter housings have different diameter insides?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m50 (metal cap) oil filter housings have different diameter insides?

I recently ordered an oil cooler filter cap for my build. It turns out that the inner post (don't really know what else to call it) that the oil filter slips around can vary in diameter...

So now I have a very expensive oil cooler adapter cap that I cannot use until I replace the filter housing (again). I already swapped from the plastic cap version as I have an m52, and I do not want to have to buy a 4th one if I somehow manage to get another larger diameter unit...Is there a way to determine which models/years have what?

Is this even a thing? Tons of searching and nothing comes up...Probably should try and return the oil cooler cap at this point I suppose.

Comment

The center tube on my OFH from a 1993 325is is slightly tapered and at the very top measures about .955". I have some others here that are packed away but could probably take some more measurements later. I'd sell you one for not a lot if they measure out to be correct.

Comment

I would gladly buy one if you want to part with one! So long as I can find one that is .960 or smaller i should be good. I have been messaging all the ebay ads I can find, but no one want to measure apparently. As a reference point, my center tube is slightly tapered as well, but it measured in at over an inch.

Comment

Working...
        X