No announcement yet.

The R3V Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Built this after selling the E30 a few months ago... Been finished up a riding for about a month:

Comment

anybody have a line on some rain gutter towers for an e30? I have all the rest of the rack, but can't find the towers to hold the rack to the car!:(
      pm me if you know please

Comment

Craigslist - "Yakima A1A towers"

Should be cheap.

Comment

I love Turner's 5 Spots, here's a small loaner and medium on back.

Never mind door nor fender, lol.

Comment

Serotta road
            LeMond cyclocross

Click image for larger version

Name:	REXsmall.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	7179958

Comment

Cell pics from moonlight ride up the mountain...

Name:	IMG_0809.jpg
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	7179959

That's the moon - looks fake..

Name:	IMG_0815.jpg
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	7179960

2AM back at the car

Name:	roofmoonsmall.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	7179961

Comment

Originally posted by noE30 View Post
                Anybody do an bike packing? My roommates and I are tossing around the idea of riding Hwy 1 from Mexico to Canada next year, we are all stoked on the idea but we need touring rigs first.
                You might check out Adventure Cycling. They have a lot of resources, maps, guides, people on the phone, an equipment store....

Adventure is out there. Find the adventure in your life with our inspiration, resources, and experiences. A bicycle is simply the mechanism to get there.

Comment

I had the score of the month last weekend. a nearly new 2000 Klein Attitude Comp for $180.

Not sure what I'm going to do with this. I have a pile of trick parts that I can throw on to make a bad ass bike. Right now its the loaner bike for my girlfriend.

Will
                  '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                  '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                  '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                  '88 BMW M3

Comment

My son just found this nice Salsa ala Carte (sp?) with decent components for $350! Local bike shop mechanic selling it. He already loves it. Looks like we're sticking with 26" for a few more years.

Name:	DSC09543.jpg
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	7180107

We just realized, now every road, CX, and mtn bike in our house is steel.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                      My son just found this nice Salsa ala Carte (sp?) with decent components for $350! Local bike shop mechanic selling it. He already loves it. Looks like we're sticking with 26" for a few more years.

[ATTACH]100685[/ATTACH]

We just realized, now every road, CX, and mtn bike in our house is steel.
                      That is a cool frame, but not a true Salsa. When QBP bought Salsa 15 ish years ago the frames stopped being made in Petaluma and were being produced by a mass builder for QBP. The original Salsa guys went on to become Soulcraft.

There is no reason to change from a 26 inch wheel. Every combo under the sun was tried in the 80s and there is a reason they settled with the 26. Its the best compromise of all. I will never ride dirt on anything else.

On a side note, I'm thinking about doing a XC race tomorrow on my 19 year old Voodoo D-jab. I haven't done a mtb race in 15 years, but I think it would be fun to show up on the Voodoo and destroy a lot of people on newer bikes. I could also show up on my '92 S-Works steel frame with Mag 21s and Suntour XC-Pro and do pretty well also.

Will
                      '88 BMW M3

Comment

BlackbirdM3 = staunch retro grouch
                        sigpic
                        DE's are a tease.
                        Build a racecar.

Comment

My current babies. I've gone through 13 other track builds in the past 6 years, but now I'm just down to these. Street shark tarck, and food/beer-grabbing tarck.

That clearance thouuuuugh. Custom fork.

2 past builds that I regret getting rid of;specifically the '84 U.S Olympic Raleigh. The Ps1 I miss because of how well the geometry handled.

meah.

Last edited by trapical; 09-15-2015, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 155///MPH View Post
                            BlackbirdM3 = staunch retro grouch
                            I won't deny it. I run 8 spd XTR on all but the new Klein (I might convert it to 8 spd, because 8 spd is far better than 9,10 or 11 spd) and 10 speed Campy Record on the road bikes. I like stuff that is built to last, not be thrown out after 6 months of racing. Its also fun to go kick peoples asses on a 22 year old bike. Heck, I almost took my '96 Voodoo racing this weekend. Had the entry fee been resonable (sorry $82 for an entry fee is insane.) I would have.

Honestly, there are almost no parts on the market for road or mtn that I want to own. Sure, some of the new aero wheels are nice, (I'd love a set of HED Stinger 6s) but aside from those, there is nothing I want to own. (Okay, I'll admit, I'd love a new custom titanium aero road frame. Or perhaps a custom Lynskey Helix.) For the most part, I see a lot of expensive crap designed to wear out quickly so you are forced to buy new parts.

Will
                            '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                              I won't deny it. I run 8 spd XTR on all but the new Klein (I might convert it to 8 spd, because 8 spd is far better than 9,10 or 11 spd) and 10 speed Campy Record on the road bikes. I like stuff that is built to last, not be thrown out after 6 months of racing. Its also fun to go kick peoples asses on a 22 year old bike. Heck, I almost took my '96 Voodoo racing this weekend. Had the entry fee been resonable (sorry $82 for an entry fee is insane.) I would have.

Honestly, there are almost no parts on the market for road or mtn that I want to own. Sure, some of the new aero wheels are nice, (I'd love a set of HED Stinger 6s) but aside from those, there is nothing I want to own. (Okay, I'll admit, I'd love a new custom titanium aero road frame. Or perhaps a custom Lynskey Helix.) For the most part, I see a lot of expensive crap designed to wear out quickly so you are forced to buy new parts.

Will
                              Will, I'm considering going from friction shifting (i.e., downtube shifters) to index shifting and brake lever shifters on one of my bikes, which would be a first for me (I've only ever used DT shifters). Currently running '80s vintage Campagnolo first-generation C-Record (7-speed) and thinking of trying '90s vintage 8-speed Campagnolo Record with Ergopower shifters. Thoughts?

E46t

Comment

Originally posted by leegf View Post
                                Will, I'm considering going from friction shifting (i.e., downtube shifters) to index shifting and brake lever shifters on one of my bikes, which would be a first for me (I've only ever used DT shifters). Currently running '80s vintage Campagnolo first-generation C-Record (7-speed) and thinking of trying '90s vintage 8-speed Campagnolo Record with Ergopower shifters. Thoughts?
                                Anyone who can master downtube friction shifters is the man! It might surprise you that converting from down tube shifters to Ergo/STI might not be as easy as you think. Its hard to find the cable stops that go where the shifters used to be these days. The '90s ergo stuff works well, but the shifter/brake hoods are uncomfortable (ironic since they are ergopower...) Getting parts for them is even harder. The hub cassette body is different from the 9/10/11 speed hubs. I'd say bite the bullet and upgrade to Record 9 speed. Its bombproof. I rode 9 spd Chorus for a decade. The stuff would not die. The group outlasted 5 frames, and was on its 6th when I sold the bike. I went to Record 10 when I got a new frame that was black, and wanted an all black bike.

Will
                                '88 BMW M3

Comment

Working...
                                X