Track Videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Track Videos

Figured a thread for track videos for review, entertainment, inspiration and track familiarization purposes would be helpfull.

Ive got many hours of in car footage from Watkins Glen, Lime Rock and Summit Point.

Below some of the windows media videos I created over the last 2 years.

Poison
    General Track video set to music (Lita Ford - am I dating myself or what), with clips from Lime Rock and Watkins Glen. For those of you who track, you know that driving fast and hard is a Poison.

Summit Point
    Only my second track outing in my bone stock M Coupe. Before going out in this car, I was used driving on R compound tires in a highly track prepared 1.9L Z3. To be able to drive the M Coupe fast was a learning process as the limits are much different. A short wheelbase car with 240hp requires some respect.

A Look Back
    A different look at Watkins Glen.

Watkins Glen
    My latest video which in which I compiled 6 different points of view.

I notice a great improvement in video quality... I really like your driving style Mario :bow:

Comment

Tiato- Great video!

How does the E30 compare to the M coupe? Obviously it's not as fast, but does it feel similar? Just curious.

Comment

e9 - Thanks!

65Matt - Stock M Coupe vs. Highly modifed 318is
        Obvious difference is torque, acceleration and top speed, but mot by that much. Believe it or not by the time I would reach the braking zones on any of the Watkins Glen straights, I was would only be 10mph slower in the 318.

After driving the e30 on track, the M Coupe felt like a brick. Dull, lumbering through turns.
        On acceleration the rear would squat, under hard braking the nose would dive. It took a lot longer to slow it down and it would take a bit for it to react to control inputs. It really took smooth methodical driving (especialy in the truns, where you always had to let the car set before doing anything else) to go fast. A short wheelbase car with a 240hp requires some respect. I would hit the coupes limits at 7/10s. To be able to drive the 318 really fast you have to go 9/10, sometimes 10/10 and the car feels solis as a rock.

The E30 is a joy to drive. Light, nimble and quick. It responds to control inputs immediately. The way my 318 is set up makes it feel like IM driving a feather. The fact that my 318 is over 450 lbs lighter than the Coupe makes a huge difference in handling. The 318 felt a lot more like my highly modifed 1.9L Z3, by far, untill I got the 318, the best handling car Ive built. Smooth driving is rewarded by continuous momentum and speed.

Both cars were very predictable and stable.

Considering the Coupe was bone stock, it came very well sorted from the factory. Had I kept that car, I would only have replaced the shocks and struts and slapped some R compunds on the wheels. The 318 is highly modified.

In the end, its a lot more fun (and satisfying) to drive a slow car fast than a fast car fast.

Comment

Wow. I never thought I'd read this!

After driving the e30 on track, the M Coupe felt like a brick. Dull, lumbering through turns.
          Since you don't have it on your website, can you list what all you have done to the 318?

Comment

65Matt,

heres the skinny on my 318is

Wow. I never thought I'd read this!
            Quote:
            Amazing isnt it. I loved the coupe, but after driving the 318 it just felt like a pig. Im sure major weight loss reduction and shock work would make a huge difference.

Comment

Nice car!!

And great videos!!!!

I wanted to ask - what are you using to mount your camera when you're filming? What are you using to mount the camera behind and to the side of the car?

Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
              X