proper seating position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

proper seating position

Hey guys, I'm all up for some fun driving, but I can't seem to find the right position for me. I have M3 seats in my eta and currently have the back rest at a near 90 degree angle. I was just wondering what the "proper" seating position was for say track events and whatnot.

-karlo

ps. pictures would be greatly appreciated.
    ________
    VERMONT DISPENSARY
    Last edited by Gr00v3; 05-12-2011, 10:10 AM.

m42brigade

r3v Photo Crew: Founding Member

Originally posted by Eurospeed
    Guys like him are the reason I love it when people do things to their cars that are different. It just like anytime Karlo posts a thread with pics of his car, I love watching all the elitist pricks on this site shit their pants when they see an E30 that doesn't fit their standards.

The proper driving position is important because it helps you get the optimal feedback from your car's chassis while also keeping you from getting fatigued.
    First, your seat should be adjusted so that you are able to depress the clutch completely and perform heel/toe braking without banging your knee on the steering column. You should also be able to use the dead pedal for support through high-g turns. Your shoulder harness should be tight so that you do not need to rely upon the steering wheel for support.
    Next, you should have a 90- to 120-degree bend in your elbows with your hands in the proper 3 and 9 o'clock positions on the steering wheel. This will allow you to make a 180-degree turn of the wheel when you need to correct an oversteer slide.
    Ideally, your thumbs should be in contact with the 3 and 9 spokes on the steering wheel. This gives you more direct feedback from the front suspension in case of an understeer situation. (Note: Since formula car and sports racer steering wheels are smaller in diameter, your arms should be straighter and have less bend at the elbows).
    Finally, your butt should be tucked firmly into the seat back so that you can get feedback from the chassis and up through the seat. This will give you a better feel as to what the rear end of the car is doing. In keeping with the Zen philosophy of racing, you should become one with your car. Get comfortable, go faster.

end spew.

-Charlie
    Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
    '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
    FYYFF

Comment

Good topic.

The e30 sport seats have 4 adjustment possibilities:
      Seat back recline.
      Seat angle adjust.
      Overall seat forward and backward.
      Thigh Support

Heres how I set up my seats.

I first start with the overall seat angle. I will adjust it untill I feel the seal support the back of my thighs and lower back. Usually 30-50 percent inclined. When doing this, I also lengthen or shorten the thigh support so that it almost touches the back of my knee.

Then I adjust the seat fowrard or backward so that when I got my feet on the pedals I have a slight bend in my knees. Your legs should never be straight when using the brake or clutch but should always have a bend.

Once I got that set I will straighten out my arms and place them on the steering wheel at the 2 and 10 o clock positions. If the steering wheel touches the bottom of my wrist joint, then my position is good. If not I adjust my seatback or leg length adjustment until the steering wheel touchess the backside (palm side) of my wrist joint.

From there you can make minor adjustments to suit your driving style.

If done right, when sitting in the seat with your hands at 3 and 9 your legs should have a slight bend and arms should be bent 90-110 degrees at the elbow.

Comment

Working...
      X