Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lotus Cortina race video thread! All videos in first post!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lotus Cortina race video thread! All videos in first post!

Updated 12/11!
    To cut down on confusion, I'll list all my videos here in chronological order:
    Summit Point 11/2012, Saturday Race

Summit Point 11/2012, My leg of the Relay Race

Summit Point 5/2013, IMSA Reunion Race

Lime Rock 6/2013, My First Session Ever

NJMP Lightning 9/2013-First clutchless shifting, missed shift, lost coil wire and retirement

Summit Point 11/2013, Close Race with Elva MkIV

Summit Point 5/2014, My leg of the Enduro

Summit Point 5/2014, IMSA Reunion (one of my favorites)

PIRC 7/2014, Very busy qualifying with lots going on

PIRC 7/2014, Saturday Race

NJMP Lightning 9/2014, Shifter breaks during session

NJMP Lightning 9/2014, Qualifying with broken shifter

PIRC 7/2014, Short funny clip of my throttle cable detaching on the qualifying grid

Summit Point 11/14, the Cortina's final session before getting crushed.
    Last edited by ELVA164; 01-16-2015, 08:02 PM.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

a HANs..you have a Hans......!!!!!.........good to see.

I love that track...sorry I couldnt get out there.....

very nice drive...impressive that you can hang w/ that sr...oops..you passed him...lol

was the HNR a hindrance at all you?
    Last edited by JRKOUPE; 09-23-2013, 08:42 AM.
    I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Nice video bro. I love lotus cortina's.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Originally posted by JRKOUPE View Post
        a HANs..you have a Hans......!!!!!.........good to see.

I love that track...sorry I couldnt get out there.....

very nice drive...impressive that you can hang w/ that sr...oops..you passed him...lol

was the HNR a hindrance at all you?
        Haha, Dad and I share it. It wasn't much of a hindrance to me because I don't need to turn my head much to see my mirrors. It just took a bit of getting used to when I strap in.
        Originally posted by QUKBMER View Post
        Nice video bro. I love lotus cortina's.
        Thanks, there are more on the way!
        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

Ah clutchless shifts.. I was wondering how you managed to shift so fast. Are you in the same class as the mid-engined car ahead of you?

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
            Ah clutchless shifts.. I was wondering how you managed to shift so fast. Are you in the same class as the mid-engined car ahead of you?
            Yeah, I decided to try it for the first time because the clutch was only barely working so I wanted to be prepared. I only did it from 3 to 4 most of the time though. I'll probably go back to using the clutch once it's fixed. Yes, he was in the same class.
            Last edited by ELVA164; 09-23-2013, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Here's footage of my second race that day. The Austin Healey was a no-show, so it was a duel between me and the Elva:

I was really happy with the outcome because the two cars have the same powerplant, but his weighs about 750lbs less, isn't a brick, has 4-wheel disc brakes and all-independent suspension, and a 5-speed transaxle.

Comment

that sounds awesome. Do you have any side by side pictures with an E30? I just want to get an idea of the size difference
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by robgoesvroom View Post
                  that sounds awesome. Do you have any side by side pictures with an E30? I just want to get an idea of the size difference
                  I don't but I'll have to do that! I can tell you it's almost the exact same dimensions as a 2002 though.

Edit: Here you go! Set them next to each other today.

Gratuitous engine shot!
                  Last edited by ELVA164; 09-24-2013, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Here's my third race of the weekend. I had a rematch with the Elva and had a good back-and-forth with him. I had a lot of fun trying to get back past him when he outbraked me into turn 1 about halfway through the race. I also started to run out of brakes, tires, and clutch by the end of the race so there was a lot going on in there! So much fun.

Comment

MC

Im looking at strut tower area in Cortina....

did u redrill holes to gain neg camber?..

you dont run camber plates...not allowed?....do u run coilovers?...I assume not?..
                      I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Those holes were drilled by a PO and we decided to use them. Looks like somewhere around 1degree each side. No camber plates. Not sure if they're allowed or not, but I have proposed the idea to Dad for the future. The car does have coilovers in the front, leaf springs in the rear.

Comment

Okay, adding videos one race weekend at a time! This post is from exactly one year before the above videos. This is also my first full race weekend in a race car. In these videos, the car still has a syncro gearbox and I REALLY like trying to shift from third to reverse instead of third to second. :/ I fixed that in the future, it's never happened since.

The race is split into three parts for ease of watching. It's tough to see, but I'm racing an Elva MkIV sports racer which is right behind me.

Comment

These videos are from last Thanksgiving at Summit Point in West Virginia. It was a bit more of a laid-back event (untimed, etc.) but I didn't take that as reason not to see what the car could do. Turns out that the handling issues you see in this video are a result of no front camber, incorrect front caster, rear trailing arms that were keeping the rear of the car from moving properly, and an overly-soft rear damping. Other than that, it was great. :razz:

Comment

These videos were back at Summit, but this past May at the Jefferson 500. I was given a couple drives by our generous drivers and took the opportunity! Unfortunately, the tires had been severely beaten up already, as had the brakes. It was still a ball!

Comment

Working...
                              X