Dream SCCA auto-x build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dream SCCA auto-x build

You have a bare shell, what class would you build your car to?
    My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Most fun in XP for me.
    sigpic

2011 335i/1995 Mercedes C220 (rallyx)

Comment

Are we talking e30's here? I think it would be fun to see an e30 m3 take a serious shot at STX. Needs the following.

Good Driver
      MCS C/O's
      17x9 wheels
      245/40/17 minimum
      Fresh s14
      tune
      exhaust
      os giken diff
      Last edited by tinkerputzer; 11-01-2014, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Yes, E30. building a DSP killer with an E36 is easy.

Comment

Klodcrawler on here started one that would be similar to my 'ultimate build' or what my car will probably evolve into eventually.

325is based SM build. I'm not entirely 100% on the specifics of the SM ruleset, so not all of this may be legal
          -Some sort of S5x motor swap. I would love something aluminum block for weight savings, obviously good power output that is usable for autoX, would need to r3v out a bit to avoid hitting limiter. Also I'm a sucker for ITB's...
          -15x10's with 275 A6/A7's. Maybe 17/18's with taller wider tires as that seems to be what worked for the DSP guys.
          -Flares yo. Ideally I would like to keep the car as narrow as possible for obvious reasons, so wheel/tire fitment would have to be spot on.
          -No idea on suspension yet. I am running GC coils right now, but obviously something a bit more advanced would be desirable.
          -Weight reduction as much as possible. Some good race seats to keep the driver planted, and some sort of harness.
          -Early model, euro bumpers, Alpina/MTech1 cowcatcher. Some sort of rear spoiler, not really a fan of the looks of wings that would actually be functional on an E30.

/daydream, it will happen someday.

Comment

SM is so open, you might be the local hero, but get utterly destroyed at nationals!

Comment

Originally posted by Nsquared97 View Post
              Klodcrawler on here started one that would be similar to my 'ultimate build' or what my car will probably evolve into eventually.

325is based SM build. I'm not entirely 100% on the specifics of the SM ruleset, so not all of this may be legal
              -Some sort of S5x motor swap. I would love something aluminum block for weight savings, obviously good power output that is usable for autoX, would need to r3v out a bit to avoid hitting limiter. Also I'm a sucker for ITB's...
              -15x10's with 275 A6/A7's. Maybe 17/18's with taller wider tires as that seems to be what worked for the DSP guys.
              -Flares yo. Ideally I would like to keep the car as narrow as possible for obvious reasons, so wheel/tire fitment would have to be spot on.
              -No idea on suspension yet. I am running GC coils right now, but obviously something a bit more advanced would be desirable.
              -Weight reduction as much as possible. Some good race seats to keep the driver planted, and some sort of harness.
              -Early model, euro bumpers, Alpina/MTech1 cowcatcher. Some sort of rear spoiler, not really a fan of the looks of wings that would actually be functional on an E30.

/daydream, it will happen someday.
              Yep, SM will take a lot.

I'm planning on running as many events as I can this year, not planning on going to nationals though. I think with my car in it's current form, we should be very competitive at regional events, but not going to have anything for the guys at the national level. I really need to decide what I'm going to do for tires. I am not serious enough about autocross to go buy a set of A7's, but a lot of the club race guys are running them now so I might be able to snag a used set. I have a bunch of Conti's and Hoosiers, but even though the Continentals are the same tire as the Hoosier, I don't think they have DOT stamps so I might get protested for that if someone cares that much. I think it'll be fun though

My car is:
              '88 325is
              -s54.. 275whp now, hopefully 300whp in a couple weeks
              -GC's with Koni's for now, have some Penskes that I'm working on
              -2550 w/ 1/4 tank
              -245/40 Continental or Hoosiers
              - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

I'd love to hear more about these penske's

Would rivet on fender flares take you out of DSP? Think a e30 can hang in DSP???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Would rivet on fender flares take you out of DSP?
                  Rivet on flares are fine for dsp and a must to run 275/35/15 A7's on 15x10's.

Think a e30 can hang in DSP???
                  I think it can be but it has some pretty steep competition e36 328's and e46 330's. E30 has it's weight going for it though. Hoyabmw trophied with his e30 in 2013 but was just out of them this year.

Comment

does hoyabmw share his build somewhere?

Comment

No but he's answered the few questions i've asked him in pm's.

Comment

A E30 winning in DSP sailed when Alex Schipkov sold his E30 and moved to co-driving Eric Campbell's E46. His E30 was probably the best prepped for DSP I have ever seen and he will freely admit that it's no longer a winner. Kevin has driven well the last couple of years, but I am confident he would be faster in an equally prepped E36 or E46... and the RX-8 will continue to get faster.

STX? E30 M3 has been tried by many: In 2003-2004 Todd Broche, 2005 Justin Bedard, 2008 Chris Conant/Doug Hitchcock, 2009 Conant/Simmons.... It was capable of trophying then, but now that the RX-8 and FRS/BRZ are around, it's a backmarker. - AB

Comment

An E30 can do well in DSP. I can beat all the cars in XP with my 2.7i running street tires. When the course favors hp, I can do top 10 RAW out of 80+ cars. I just installed 240/275 Hoosiers on my 17x8/17x9 wheels and the boys in XP are hating it. The supercharged Lotus, FRZ and the LS1 Miata can't figure out why they can't beat me.
                          sigpic

2011 335i/1995 Mercedes C220 (rallyx)

Comment

That's a big spread on tire size, how do you cope with understeer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Gary, what region do you run in? Alabama or Tennessee valley? I think me and a few friends are bringing our e30's over for a few events this coming season, all in SM though.

Eric, I have some Penske 7300's for the rear that I am working on. I'm just starting to read into shocks a little more and it's a deep deep hole, a lot going on there. At some point I'm going to take them over to MCS and put them on the dyno to see what i need to change. Fitting them to the car shouldn't be an issue. Still not sure what I want to do for the front.. For now I'm just going to beat on the Koni's
                              - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Working...
                              X