Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on this race video please!

Hi everyone,

This is video of my Sunday race in our Ginetta G4 at Summit Point. It was the most exciting race I've been a part of, starting with close racing, moving up through the (admittedly small) grid, and finishing with a late surge to catch and PASS the leaders! It was a huge amount of fun!

I also added a few new editing tweaks to this video and would love some input on them. I have a lap counter, position marker, and some occasional freeze-frames and commentary. Please let me know what you think and how I can keep improving my videos! And feel free to tell me how much work my driving needs, as well! :) Thanks!
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Good work with the driving and the video. Thanks for posting, allows me to live vicariously.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks good
      NASA
      BMWCCA member
      PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
      1997 M3 sedan
      2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

Thanks guys! I want to make them as interesting and as un-confusing as possible so I thought little info stuff like that would help.
        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

Great video! I'm going to waste a lot of time at work tomorrow watching your other videos.

Comment

haha that was fun to watch ,video quality is really good and i like the commentary/HUD info . you seemed to run a better line than others thru the corners but didnt seem to gain much advantage in out speed ,kept thinking you'd reel them in with the lines you were taking, definatley much quicker on the straights.

so i spotted a couple FF which are 1600 carb engined , whats the powerplant in a Ginetta?
            Angus
            88 E30M3 X2
            89 325IX
            92 R100GS/PD
            :)

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
              Great video! I'm going to waste a lot of time at work tomorrow watching your other videos.
              I hope you do! I do it myself sometimes
              Originally posted by spdracrm3 View Post
              haha that was fun to watch ,video quality is really good and i like the commentary/HUD info . you seemed to run a better line than others thru the corners but didnt seem to gain much advantage in out speed ,kept thinking you'd reel them in with the lines you were taking, definatley much quicker on the straights.

so i spotted a couple FF which are 1600 carb engined , whats the powerplant in a Ginetta?
              I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the approval on the line, I thought it was relatively close as well. It's amazing how different the G4 is to drive than the Cortina, though. My first session out was really interesting for that reason. You have to approach pretty much every corner totally differently, as well as balance the car differently in the corner.

There are two reasons I didn't have much of a speed advantage. First off, I was obviously trying but I wasn't pushing the limits as the car is still new to me and it was only my third(?) time out in it at that track. I was also short-shifting most of the time to be safe. The second reason is I was definitely overbraking in every braking zone to make sure I left extra "wiggle room." Definitely kills the runs out of the corners. I would be quicker than everything but the white car on the straights, but he's one of our customers and was kind enough to let me by. He did try to pass me at the finish, but ran wide out of the final corner and had to lift!

The Ginetta G4 could have come with a wide variety of engines, including a Ford 1000cc, 1100cc, 1300cc, or 1500cc pre-crossflow, a Ford 1600cc crossflow, or a 1588cc Lotus Twin Cam (though those were a special version called the G4R, with four-wheel disc brakes and bespoke independent rear suspension). Both of our cars have 1700cc crossflow Ford motors, the blue car producing around 190bhp and the white car making ~202bhp. It's a lot. The blue car is also using 6"x13" Hoosier Street TD tires and the white car has 7"x13" Avon ACB10s. Long answer to a short question....

Comment

That looks like fun! Awesome car and nice racing!

1991 LS1 Swapped 318is
                Instagram:
                https://instagram.com/saltybeast/
                LS Build Thread:
                https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...s-e30-ls1-swap

Comment

Nice Vid, good racing...perfect balance of action/commentary.
                  sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

Originally posted by ajhostetter View Post
                    Nice Vid, good racing...perfect balance of action/commentary.
                    Thanks, I'm glad to hear it!

Comment

Nice. Looked like fun.
                      Discounts to all R3VLimited users on Amsoil products www.tampabaysynthetics.com

Comment

It was a huge amount of fun, and much more comfortable than my first session with below-freezing track temperatures. The car has a much more...evil disposition when it's that cold. The Cortina was similarly feisty but I really enjoyed the one session I got with it; I felt like a rally driver going through the back of the course!

Comment

How much does your Ginetta weigh?

87 4dr specE30: Bitsy (lurking above), 89 4dr 325i blau, 91 318is brillrot, 90 325ivertbronzit

Comment

Cool video, that track has some really great corners. Turn 3 and the last two are awesome! I wish they had more walls!
                            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by GillesBigCowboy View Post
                              How much does your Ginetta weigh?
                              This one (we have 4 at our shop, including the white one in this video) weighs 1,175lbs if I remember correctly.
                              Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
                              Cool video, that track has some really great corners. Turn 3 and the last two are awesome! I wish they had more walls!
                              It is a really fun track, with a lot of different types of corners. A lot are deceptively fast, as well. Turn 3 is always faster than you think it is! I wish I could enter Turn 4 without braking, but I was new to the car and don't want to use up Dad's brakes...

More walls? I dunno, I like having some room on both sides of the track...unless you prefer walls to burms, which I can understand.

Comment

Working...
                              X