No announcement yet.

bumpsteer and e36 rack spacer location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It took a whole 15 minutes to jack the car up, change spacer location, take pics, correct the toe-settings and be done. I didn't even have to remove the fluid lines on mine. I still haven't ground down any of the firewall to clearance the steering shaft even though it was <1mm away from touching, now it has about 2mm of clearance and I will just open it up just a little bit for peace of mind but really one could probably get away with not bothering with it.

I cant speak for everyone but you can see the geometry difference in the pictures and I noticed a very positive change from using the spacers under the rack.

Comment

Sorry for the delay, here are pics of mine. It was difficult to get a good shot.

Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagaris View Post
        Hellabad is correct, everything I have read about e36/z3 rack swaps is wrong.

Here is the tie-rod angle with the spacers above the rack

Here it is after moving the spacers below the rack

My car drives normal now after putting the spacers below the rack and has a normal/basically undetectable amount of bumpsteer
        Hey Sagaris, could you repost these pictures? I'm debating moving my spacers from top to bottom to hopefully fix an issue I'm having.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
          Hey Sagaris, could you repost these pictures? I'm debating moving my spacers from top to bottom to hopefully fix an issue I'm having.

Thanks for the heads up, I will see if I can find them

Comment

FYI: If you want to put the spacers on the bottom with a Z3 rack, it won't fit. The problem is that the top of the rack hit's the top bracket on the subframe, leaving the rack about 1/8" out from where it needs to be. You will need to either cut off a bit of the end of subframe bracket on both sides (1/4" would be plenty), or make a new set of spacers so that the rack is spaced down a bit from the subframe bracket. I think 1/8" on top and 3/8" on bottom would work. I don't feel like taking the rack completely out, so I will be doing the latter.

Edit: I made and installed new spacers, 3/8 bottom, 1/8" top. Tie rods appear to be much more level with the control arms when the car is on the ground. They certainly weren't before. However, it didn't fix my issue, although I think it did improve it, so I'll be looking at my alignment next.
            Last edited by rturbo 930; 08-19-2017, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X