Newbies First Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies First Project

Hey guys, new to the forum, new the the E30, new to cars. I bought a 1989 318i and Ill be going back to the states soon to start working on it. I REALLY got into cars a year and a half ago and since then have learned all I could but there's only so much you can learn without getting dirty..
    I've replaced rotors and pads on another car, water pump and thermostat/thermostat housing on the Touring and that's really it. I deployed so I had to keep it at a shop and was told that it has a blown head gasket and maybe a cracked head. It doesn't show any signs of that though.
    So I know this is a really long story.. But where do you guys suggest I start my project? Thanks ahead of time!

If the M40 shows no actual signs of coolant leakage into the combustion chamber I wouldn't worry about it. Or if it only shows a small amount of leakage at present I simply wouldn't drive it until you get back to the US and then I would consider an M42 swap, which should be as easy as it gets for a beginner.

But as with any car it all starts with a thorough diagnosis of any issues that the car has, so that's where I'd start first.

Comment

Suspension, wheel bearings, brakes. front to back from the ground up; update/replace. You'll be completely amazed at how different the car feels with a completely refreshed suspension.

Its my starting point for every car that I've bought. That and lighting; I've always updated the lighting on my projects. My drive to and from work is mostly in the dark right now, so its a really important thing to me on my DD. Almost 30yr old technology could use some help
      -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot
      -15' 320i, Glacier Silver Metallic

Comment

^I agree with this
        Originally posted by blunttech
        Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
        :shock:

Comment

Alright sounds good, is there any better source for Tourings on suspension? I can find a lot about the E30 but wouldnt it be different because of the added weight or will basic E30 suspension guides work?

Comment

They do not weigh to much more than sedans so anything that works for those will apply to the touring. If you are going with something custom valved and custom spring rates then talk about it with the suspension company.
            Originally posted by blunttech
            Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
            :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by VailenDersate View Post
              Hey guys, new to the forum, new the the E30, new to cars. I bought a 1989 318i and Ill be going back to the states soon to start working on it. I REALLY got into cars a year and a half ago and since then have learned all I could but there's only so much you can learn without getting dirty..
              I've replaced rotors and pads on another car, water pump and thermostat/thermostat housing on the Touring and that's really it. I deployed so I had to keep it at a shop and was told that it has a blown head gasket and maybe a cracked head. It doesn't show any signs of that though.
              So I know this is a really long story.. But where do you guys suggest I start my project? Thanks ahead of time!
              I also have a 318i Touring. If you have any desire to replace the engine, do it now. The M40 is a good motor for just tooling around town, but the lack of power and bad gearing will show its problems when you start driving on US roads again. On top of the fact that to refresh the timing belt and associated parts just isn't worth the cost anymore. Last time I priced it out it costs roughly $250 on the cheap side and $600 for the full refresh and that is assuming you do it yourself and are willing to invest the time.

I personally am planning on a M42 swap for ease of swap and because I got a hook up on an entire drivetrain. Its up to you what you want to do and good luck.

Also collect as many Touring parts as possible and bring them with you. I would love it if you could bring an interior back with you for me because I see them on a German ebay type site all the time for cheap and it won't let me register to buy and ship them here.

Comment

Originally posted by Porthos View Post
                I also have a 318i Touring. If you have any desire to replace the engine, do it now. The M40 is a good motor for just tooling around town, but the lack of power and bad gearing will show its problems when you start driving on US roads again. On top of the fact that to refresh the timing belt and associated parts just isn't worth the cost anymore. Last time I priced it out it costs roughly $250 on the cheap side and $600 for the full refresh and that is assuming you do it yourself and are willing to invest the time.

I personally am planning on a M42 swap for ease of swap and because I got a hook up on an entire drivetrain. Its up to you what you want to do and good luck.

Also collect as many Touring parts as possible and bring them with you. I would love it if you could bring an interior back with you for me because I see them on a German ebay type site all the time for cheap and it won't let me register to buy and ship them here.
                Yeah I would like an M52 but the M42 from what I've heard is basically plug and play. So I'll see whats available when I get stateside. As for the seats, you mind giving me a link? ebay-kleinanzeigen is the local eBay and if you give me the link I can see where the seller is and maybe pick them up for you if you can get me the cash somehow? My problem is finding local salvage yards. Its like they dont exist near me.
                Last edited by VailenDersate; 02-08-2017, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Great advice to get any Touring-specific parts before you return to the US, especially NLA trim pieces that your car is missing. We are all having to source them from Europe and have them shipped over.
                  1992 325i Cabrio
                  1988 320i Touring
                  2000 M5
                  1977 530i
                  2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                  BMWCCA
                  E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
                    Great advice to get any Touring-specific parts before you return to the US, especially NLA trim pieces that your car is missing. We are all having to source them from Europe and have them shipped over.
                    You can still get them through a US dealership if they play nice. I decided to cross reference all of the exterior and interior window trim, seals, clips between sedan and touring. I dropped about $600 on them and boxed them away before leaving. Even bought new tailgate pieces like the alignment stops and brackets as well as the cargo cover/ dog net mounting and latching brackets

Totally worth it. I just need to grab the front door trim/seal pieces and the car will have all new shit ready for a trip to the paint shop.

-89' 320iT, Brilliantrot

Comment

Originally posted by crash n' burn View Post
                      You can still get them through a US dealership if they play nice.
                      I was referring to the NLA parts, but I understand what you are saying. Hendrick BMW (Charlotte) was very nice about ordering euro-only parts for me (I know the parts guys and they didn't even ask for proof of ownership). The problem was that the parts just never came in. I eventually gave up and started ordering from Schmiedmann.

Do you have a dealer in NC that's selling you euro parts?

Are you in Sanford, NC? If so, which body shop are you using? I will eventually be getting all the rust fixed on my Touring, and would prefer to use a shop that's done it before.

Thanks, Cory

PS - Awesome stash of parts!
                      1992 325i Cabrio
                      1988 320i Touring
                      2000 M5
                      1977 530i
                      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                      BMWCCA
                      E30CCA

Comment

They may be NLA, but certain online parts distributors have shelf stock. Quite a few parts I got my hands on were listed NLA by even my local dealership.

I haven't found one yet, but I've really had no need for one right now. I have quite a few contacts back in Germany that could source used parts if I desperately needed something and couldn't get it new here. Leebmann24.de ships to the US the last time I checked.

I'm indeed in Sanford, but I'm a while from using a body shop but I'd probably use a family friend'said if local. I'm in the middle of adulting right now and buying a house....so I have no money.
                        Last edited by crash n' burn; 02-08-2017, 08:40 PM.
                        -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot

Comment

Working...
                        X