CV joint re-grease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E30andy View Post
    Been f'ing with this thing all afternoon. Does that clip even have to come off?? There doesn't appear to be enough space to spread it far enough to make much difference anyway.

Looking at YouTube videos, looks like hanging it from a vise and using a BFH (?brass) is the way to go.
    need these

Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Comment

Originally posted by spdracrm3 View Post
      need these

Yes I do! Look very expensive....
      89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
      1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Maybe it's different on e34s, but I anyways just use a dead blow plastic hammer to tap the joint off. The clip compresses into the groove and sides through the joint. I put the axle shaft in a vise to hold it.

I also clean everything and remove all the old grease and dirt. Just like motor oil, grease breaks down over time and doesn't work as well. Plus different brand greases might not be compatible with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
          Maybe it's different on e34s, but I anyways just use a dead blow plastic hammer to tap the joint off. The clip compresses into the groove and sides through the joint. I put the axle shaft in a vise to hold it.

I also clean everything and remove all the old grease and dirt. Just like motor oil, grease breaks down over time and doesn't work as well. Plus different brand greases might not be compatible with each other.
          When the boots fail every couple of years, you don't need to worry too much about age related issues.
          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

you need a vice. Once you got the axle clamped down tight, you can direct most of the force of your hammer blows directly on the CV joint - so you don't need to spread that clip out entirely, just get it started over the splines.

I have managed to do it once without a vice, but it was a pain in the ass. I used to take it to a shop and let them do it for me - usually just gave them a case of beer or something, it took them like 15 seconds vs my 3+ hours of cussing.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              you need a vice. Once you got the axle clamped down tight, you can direct most of the force of your hammer blows directly on the CV joint - so you don't need to spread that clip out entirely, just get it started over the splines.

I have managed to do it once without a vice, but it was a pain in the ass. I used to take it to a shop and let them do it for me - usually just gave them a case of beer or something, it took them like 15 seconds vs my 3+ hours of cussing.
              I never really had that much trouble spreading the circlip. It's always been somewhere between immediate release and a few minutes of fiddling.

Those knipex spreaders are really tempting for next time. I might make K buy them for me.
              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
              2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Yeah I think my lack of a vice is the problem. Just had a garage built and don't have a workbench yet to mount my vice. Trying to think of a creative way to use a vice without a workbench. I may actually mount it to the wooden stairs in the garage as a temporary measure to get this CV joint done. I really hate to take it to a shop but that may be the way to go until my garage is better set up! A shop would charge less than me buying that fancy Knipe tool and also the tool to pinch the CV boot clamps closed....

Good advice guys, thanks!
                1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Technically you should clean all the grease out, some greases become abrasive when mixed. Generally to put a new boot on, we just soak them in gasoline to clean the old grease. Depending where the split in the boot is, you often can just fill the boot with gas and not use a larger bucket/can. Old paint cans work great for a container, though.

As far a your vice, go to a dept store (such as Walmart) and grab a cheap bar stool to mount the vice to. This makes it portable and you just put your foot on a stringer if you need to stabilize it. I have one kicking around the shop that gets a vice, bench grinder/polisher etc whatever mounted to it when needed.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Got it!

Mounted my vice on an old kitchen cabinet we had lying around, and that's all she wrote. Spread the clip, and a couple of whacks with a rubber mallet and off it came.

Thanks again for all the help guys!!
                    1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

I use a set of circlip pliers that were $30, from advance. Not top of the line, but definitely not harbor freight. Nice solid steel, no flex. I think that's important. I use a screwdriver to spread the clip a little, and then keep it pried open with the pliers.
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                      X