Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M52 PS pump won't work?

my power steering pump on my m52b28 from a 97 328i doesn't have the
    same size high pressure outlet as the m50 and e30 ones.

meaning i can't connect my high pressure line(the e30 one) to the ps pump.
    also i cant use an e36 m52 one because then the side that connects to the
    rack will be too big for the e30 rack bolt.

is my only option to splice the m52 pressure hose into the e30 pressure hose?

Anyone?

With as many people that have used these motors no one has come across this?

I am thinking about drilling out the e30 hose to be the right size for the pump
    Any reason I shouldn't?

Comment

Might be easier to get an e36 steering rack and run the e36 lines. e36 racks are pretty cheap and easy to find
      M/S52 Wiring Diagrams
      Z3M S52 to late model 325i wiring diagram
      M52 to 318is wiring diagram

Comment

I just put in a brand new e30 rack and pinion, and the motor is in already....... it is not coming back out.

Comment

I'm not sure about the differences between the M52 and M50 pumps but can you install an M50 pump onto an M52?

Comment

curious on this one now as I am about to install my m52 this weekend hopefully...

Comment

I don't understand why the M52 high pressure line won't fit. According to realoem the e36 M52 high pressure line has an M16 bolt connecting to the pump, and an M14 bolt connecting to the rack. The e30 high pressure line is M14 at the pump, and M14 at the rack. That means you should be able to use the M52 high pressure line. Am I missing something here?

e30 lines - RealOEM Link

e36 M52 lines - RealOEM Link
              M/S52 Wiring Diagrams
              Z3M S52 to late model 325i wiring diagram
              M52 to 318is wiring diagram

Comment

Definitely worth ditching the E30 rack. It's not a difficult job to switch.

Comment

M52 PS pump won't work?

The m52 PS lines don't match with the e30 rack. The banjo bolt hole sizes are different like said above. You can either Delete PS, get a custom line made, swap racks, or swap pumps. I just deleted mine because my car is already pretty bare bones anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

depending on what year/model, a lot of the 328s have a luk brand PS pump which has an M16 outlet. You can get a ZF pump from an M3 or some later 328s (I think) which has an M14 outlet, then you can reuse your e30 PS pressure hose.

Or the easiest thing would be to think about this for a minute... if the e36 pump has an M16 outlet, and people swap e36 racks into their e30 all day long (with no major hassle, same e30 pump and pressure line) then it leads to reason that the e36 racks have an M14 pressure inlet just like the e30 racks do. If that's true, then there must exist a pressure line with an M16 bolt at the pump and an M14 bolt at the rack, and there is.

edit: lol luckysnafu said the same thing.... click the links and read
                    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                    Shadetree30

Comment

update. the e36 328i hose will not work.

i bought one from the advice here and it does not route anywhere near to fitting without lots and lots of bending. maybe you could make it work if the e34 front sump oil pan didn't come as close to the ps pump but that is not the case.

the correct answer was to buy another e30 hose with a larger than stock sealing surface. the brand Omega turned out to have it. and then i had to drill out the pump side fitting to fit the e36 pump fitting. fits great now though.

Comment

find a shop that does custom hoses. We have a local place that makes em but not cheap since it is custom.
                        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Working...
                        X