Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Importing e30 Touring into CA (and do engine swap?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wintershade View Post
    This is what concerns me about federalizing the car with stock engine, and then doing it all over again after I do the swap. Adds another $6K in addition to costs of doing whatever needs to be done to get car through CARB the first time. Anyone else have thoughts on the "order of operations" here? Like it is totally crazy to import the thing, registering for off road only use, doing the swap, and then going to CARB?

On a totally different note -- I'm drowning in decisions of the many directions to go with a motor if I ever undertake this. I mean -- S50 seems like a straightforward, perhaps ideal "first timer" swap, which could always been SCed later. S62 seems like quite the undertaking. And then if you're going to go throught all the effort of S62, why no just go for broke and drop an S65 or S85 in there!!!??? I don't want to derail my own thread with a discussion of which engine just yet -- I'm still in the "where does one get started" and "what should I expect" here phase.

If your calling yourself a "first timer" I wouldn't even think about a S65/85. Possibly a S62 just because its been somewhat documented and you could buy wiring harness adapters and ECU support etc. but as far as CARB I have no idea. The thought of a S62 swapped touring is great though. I was very close to going that route with mine until I got a deal on a S54 I couldn't pass up.

Comment

I'd go s54, easier than the v8 motors and I like keeping an i6 in there.

Comment

Originally posted by mbonder View Post
        I'd go s54, easier than the v8 motors and I like keeping an i6 in there.
        Yeah, that definitely the direction I'm trending as I read through more of the content on this site. The v8 swap seems to be on a whole different level in terms of the amount of fabrication and general enginuity required. I also think that the I6 is more in the "spirit" of the car and likely to be more drivable. Given the lack of traction control on the e30 and my desire not to go nuts with wide wheels, I think the I6 will be plenty of power.

So the main think I'm trying to figure out now as I budget this is S50 bs S54. Seems like trying to mate the OBD2 S54 add an additional layer of complexity. I'm also trying to figure out how that will impact ability to get the car to pass CARB lab testing. Staying OBD 1 seems easier and still decently powerful. Most of the threads I've found focus more on the technical complexity of the S50 vs S54 but not much on the differences in passing CA emissions. So if anyone has thoughts there, that would be helpful.

All being equal, the S54 would probably be my preference, it being the ultimate I6 in my POV. But my biggest priority is being able to register the car in CA, and having something that I could reliably take on a road trip. I think both engines would be more than enough fun to drive. Plus I could always do cams/etc on the S50 (which I've heard often makes the engines run cleaner) and it would probably still be cheaper.

Comment

Just buy my S54 swapped touring. Then all you would have to do is get it to cali and get it leagalized

Comment

Plus, if you swap in a newer engine and keep the smog equipment, you won't have a problem with smog. Because in California, as long as the engine is newer they shouldn't give you too much problem. Worst case, befriend a smog shop owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Shftr8 View Post
              Just buy my S54 swapped touring. Then all you would have to do is get it to cali and get it leagalized
              Thanks for the offer, but the whole reason I'm doing the swap is because I want do DO an engine swap -- that's the fun part!

Hitting some massive speed bumps with the wife on this genius plan at the moment, but doing some research into labs and the importing/testing process and will circle back as things take more shape.

Comment

I'd focus on getting a touring registered in california first. I hear it can be tricky.
                Build Threads:
                Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by wintershade View Post
                  Thanks for the offer, but the whole reason I'm doing the swap is because I want do DO an engine swap -- that's the fun part!

Hitting some massive speed bumps with the wife on this genius plan at the moment, but doing some research into labs and the importing/testing process and will circle back as things take more shape.
                  Totally agree with you. I have 1000 miles on the complete restoration (I guess you could consider it that) and I'm all ready planning on selling it to fund the next project

Comment

Working...
                  X