No announcement yet.

The Almost Fully Garage Built E30- Budget Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have been quite busy lately but winter is surely and finally here! So sad. The plan this winter is to get the hood on and source all the parts for an m52 swap. Then will move onto different coilovers and some more suspension goodies to dial in everything. For now I will be working on straightening out the rear end. Went to harbor freight this past week and scored a press with a couple adaptors for the body. Once it is somewhat straight I'll be going over it with some body filler and then fabbing up a rear bumper. Don't really have any nice e30 bumpers I like so it'll be cool to make a diffuser/bumper as 1 piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    R&M Performance Auto Care
    Daily: 03' 530i
    Project: 87' 325e race/track car
    BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Looks sweet this, out of interest you weighed the standard tank?

Comment

Originally posted by king_ZS View Post
        Looks sweet this, out of interest you weighed the standard tank?

I have not. Still have it in my basement so might put it on a scale this week. I know it's about double the weight maybe more

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Been a while but finally gathered up some cash to finish up this car for the season. I built the exhaust (please mind this is my first time welding stainless with a mig) So far its been good and no leaks but I did have to fight with the ebay headers. Also, took out my crappy jom coilovers and ordered a pair of bc racing ones. Condor rear coolant block off came in and installed that easily surprisingly. Next, I will be doing an automatic adjustable fan controller and starting with this body work that I'm really dreading. Let's hope it's better than it looks.

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Finally got some e39 pics and the gfs e46. That's sitting on coilovers and m parallels and getting a dynavin soon. Hers is stock lol.

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Good work saving that car from what was likely an inevitable future in a scrap yard! Also the e39 is gorgeous.

Comment

Originally posted by mtekjosh View Post
                Good work saving that car from what was likely an inevitable future in a scrap yard! Also the e39 is gorgeous.

Thanks man! I was simply at a need for a project but it definitely escalated in a good way. And unfortunately just a 530 with m54 and 205k miles. It's unbelievable how well they are made compared to the newer ones. My moms e70 x5 breaks like 3x more often

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Worked a bit while I had the chance. At this point I am waiting for my suspension, then will start on body work after I get a buddy to pull the damaged area a bit back with his truck. So the adjustable fan controller is installed by tapping into fusebox and underhood battery junction. Eventually I will build a simpler harness and have constant power block and keyed source block as well so accessories are easier to add. For now I made a build list of the m52 turbo swap. I'm sure more will come but enjoy!

Oh and tomorrow I will be installing my new dynavin n6 unit in my e39! Should be awesome and Will take a video for anyone interested. Hoping I can android jailbreak it eventually as well!

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Dynavin installed in the e39. It's an awesome unit although I do wish I had an android os or that dynavin actually made apps for this one like they keep saying they will. But it's awesome to have gps in the car rather than on the phone. Now to figure out how to get custom backgrounds and all that if possible and some tricks to make it cooler. Did some work on the e36 donor car for the swap. Everything is disconnected but I will need to cut and hack the exhaust which will lead me to driveshaft. Since I didn't have my sawzall with me (it was at work),I started pulling off the front end, drilled out spotwelds to remove motor straight out and disconnected unneeded things from front end such as a/c pulley, bracket, compressor, and tensioner along with p/s pump. If anyone needs any of those items, let me know and I can ship them out at low cost. Looks like donor motor will come out next week, hopefully coilovers as well and something else ;). I've been slacking on this car lately and I'm finally getting back in the groove almost to the point where I was when I first got it. Sad to say I have lost some interest but trying to excite myself as I assume most of us do with new parts and goodies.

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Well I decided to go through Chicago roads today for a car meet and hit a pretty gigantic pothole and blew out the rear strut mount for the second time in 3 weeks. Beyond annoyed now and just want to get on with e30 work. I need to find some time in between work to fill up my gas cylinders for my torch setup since one of my control arm bushing bolts broke. Will update in 2-3 days and we'll see how much time I get between homework and work. Should have some time since I'm taking a break from the gym for 2 weeks.

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Got a surprisingly cheap strut mount from work at 18 bucks for lemforder brand. Here is the old one, I need to stop hitting potholes and getting on bad roads. sorry, deleted the pic so I got a screenshot. iPhone is running low on storage so have to make do now. Tomorrow, ill be able to finish routing some dynavin wires and a center console mounted aux and USB input. Also, will cut the e36 exhaust and disconnect driveshaft, maybe even get time to pull the motor and trans. Pics will come tomorrow! Thanks for reading.

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Sorry for the late pics but here they are!
                          Mounted mic right by garage opener headliner area, gps unit by top right of windshield and the aux/USB connect in the little pocket behind shifter area. Wanted a stealthy and not ricer look so I think it is achieved. Was just notified today that coilovers won't ship out until the 25th so I'm screwed til then. I'm working on getting a little shop opened with lifts so I can completely dedicate time to this build literally right after work but for now, e36 m52b28 motor is almost out, just need to hook up chains and undo motor/trans mount.

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Pulled the motor and trans out (yes automatic) but I have a manual e36 trans that came with the donor car.
                            Tore the trans off and will be taking off all accessories now while I still am waiting for coilovers to come. My rep said they won't ship til the 25th so I have some time to work on other things. Might even tear the head off the block and get it cleaned up for m3 cams and tolerances checked at a machine shop. After that comes ordering of parts and cleaning.
                            Can't wait to drive this chipped eta motor that's in there, I'm hoping I get about 180hp with all accessories off except alternator and on 91. If it blows up this season, it's whatever anyway. If you are keeping up with this build, I will say that it is going to get interesting soon!

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Finally got the engine on a stand and remembered I don't have special tools for vanos so I have those ordered but I did remove everything except head pretty much.
                              Also did a few fixes on the e39 as well as destroyed my left side of the bumper slide due to friends obnoxious driveway.( the things we do just to pick up an e30 poster) anyway, now I have an excuse for m5 front bumper.
                              I replaced the side view mirrors with aftermarket for blind spot capability and they are good quality so far! Also fixed my quarter shades with the top of a hair gel container haha. I feel cheap but who wouldn't to save 350 bucks for those shades.
                              More to come tomorrow! It's going to be an early Christmas!

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Coilovers came in and I started cutting them, almost ready to weld now. Also mounted the new tires and wheels. Now just to put it all together!

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Working...
                                X