m technic 1 rear apron/valence, dilema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m technic 1 rear apron/valence, dilema

so, I have a few questions that have gone unanswered for a long, long time, even so i know about the modifications required to fit late bumpers onto early cars. ...

I'll copy and paste from ongoing topic at ...http://www.e30tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39920 ...

to make it short and referring to various options for early e30's (small taillights) with diving boards, and we're trying to find the answer of why plastics do not fit early DB cars, here's a quick factoid

- MT1 rear aprons/valances fits early (small taillight) coupe and sedans as well as small and big taillight convertibles.

late bumpers fit early and late convertibles but not early coupe and sedans, why is that??? since MT1 fits coupe/sedans as well as cabriolets.

we also talked about Racing Dynamics early rear aprons attached to late style plastic bumpers as seen here on my Zinno iC...

http://www.r3vlimited.com/gallery/fi...1/IMG_1999.JPG and

Jean's car it's a 1984 318i

Originally posted by jean
    If the valance was made for a plastic bumper car and the bumper was then shortened to fit the early car, how would the valance fit ? Wouldn't it have to be shortened on both ends to fit ?

Just making sure.
    my answer ... convertibles have same distance between rear well arch to bumper section as on plastic bumpered cars, hence,
    it's so easy to just bolt it on with out modifying rear valance/apron.

don't think it will be that easy for a coupe or sedan with aluminum bumpers / small tail light version.

by what i read on other sites, it will probably have to be shortened.,

as per oem m technic 1 rear aprons. part # 51121932211

it's the same for convertibles, coupe and sedans, WHY ???,
    well, mt1 uses a different mounting system, not bumper shocks., as seen here ...

this leaves a doubt in my mind,
    one that it's been there for the longest and it has to do with all this issues
    of cutting down plastic bumpers to fit early / small tail light car..

You see, when i first try to install plastic bumpers on my Delphin 87 325iC (small taillights),
    i had the same issue as coupe and sedan guts, that being that bumper
    extended into wheel arch rear section., so i did not installed for the longest time.
    eventually i found a pair of the correct rear bumper shocks, and all went
    well after that.
    So i wonder if the rights mounting shocks would solve all of this coupe/sedan
    rear bumper scenario, as it is obvious by the fitting of M technic 1 rear
    apron that it is the same distance after all. not longer or shorter,.
    so why are fitting issues ?

i don't know nor have i ever actually measure distances,
    that will be done on my next junk yard diving expedition....

If the valance was made for a plastic bumper car and the bumper was then shortened to fit the early car, how would the valance fit ? Wouldn't it have to be shortened on both ends to fit ?

Just making sure....

answer from chris325ix with 1991 iX

because convertables have the same rear arches as the later E30s

and the chrome bumpers for cabbies have a different rubber peice on the end.
    my answer ... you're right about the arches,

but, that does not explain why MTechnic 1 rear apron will fit early
    Coupe/Sedan with small taillights as well as Convertibles with
    big or small taillights.

that being said, plastic bumpers are a perfect fit on all pre or post taillight
    upgraded cabriolets, but not on early small tail lighted coupe sedan e30 cars.

i just wonder why....
    Oh damn, I wonder if running conv. rear bumper shocks would let you run a rear plastic bumper on the early coupe/sedan w/o cutting the bumper down ?? Why didn't I try this... #-o

answer from schnell 318 with a 1984 318i

No because that doesn't change the fact that it is still about an inch or two too long.
    Oh damn, I wonder if running conv. rear bumper shocks would let you run a rear plastic bumper on the early coupe/sedan w/o cutting the bumper down ?? Why didn't I try this... #-o
    my answer ... part # 51 12 1 959 128 plastic's bumper shock are same for coupe/sedans and cabrios.

part # 51 21 1 959 125 bracket that attaches bumper-shock to actual bumper it's also same, so that's not it either.

the quest for answers goes on and on and on ...

any mathematically speaking brains out there ???, if ...

a = MT1 rear apron
    b = plastic rear bumper
    c = early coupe/sedans with small taillights
    d = cabrios, be it early or late style tailights

then

a = c = d
    b = d
    why does b does not equal c ???

An MT1 rear valance doesn't fit a late model cabrio.

Comment

Originally posted by Schneider325 View Post
      An MT1 rear valance doesn't fit a late model cabrio.
      Agreed... Late = plastic(tech2) early = metal(tech1)

If you try and mix em up it look's wrong... Might as well fit a mustang rear valance as you will get the same result... ****
      325i touring, 327i 2 tone tech 2, 335i tech 1 touring with nossigpic

Comment

shit man, your sig is definitely ftmfw!!!

Comment

Working...
        X