Shop flooring, roll on style.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shop flooring, roll on style.

Guys looking for a solid floor paint. No texture and grey. Really just looking for someone who has this stuff down and can let me know where they got it and how it is holding up.

Thank you,

Tyler

http://www.europeanplates.com Build and Preview plates
    R3V Discount Code = R3V2012

I am also going to be doing one of these floors soon, once I move into my new house.

Lots of good info here:
    Garage design & tool discussion for the working man,,,

After reading up a bit and researching, I am 99% sure I am gonna go with this kit:

A couple things I have learned
    [1] apparently it is essential to get the 2 part epoxy, not the premixed stuff
    [2] you have to somehow test whether your concrete is sealed or unsealed, and that affects which kind of coating you can use.

Hopefully someone with some actual experience will chime in, because I would also like to know more.

Hope this helps

Comment

yea, garagejournal.com has lots of info!

Comment

I had unsealed concrete, used two rustolium professional epoxy kits in gloss grey then two coats of uv stable clear epoxy with flake.

I would say i'm anything but easy on it the only thing I protect the floor from is welding spatter otherwise it has held up admirably with a few chips and scratches (I dropped my bench vise which chipped the concrete and the epoxy, no surprise there) Few scraches where I slid a fully loaded vending machine across the floor. (Yeah, I probably shoulda expected that one) It has held up to jackstands, engine stands, steel wheels on my hoist, Oil, grease, brakedust, coolant, toluene, brakeparts cleaner, chem dip, brake fluid, Steel grinding debris and all it shows are a faint yellow tinted stains where an oil leak sat on the floor way too long before I cleaned it up. Overall, I love it.

Last edited by bimmerteck; 06-18-2010, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Wolverine rules. U-coat it is junk.
          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

[threadjack] Details on car in last picture? [/theadjack]
            sigpic
            e30 Sold long ago - Too many BMWs since then... For now 2006 M5

Comment

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=171701

Now, back to the floor discussion The rustolium I used is a little harder to find then I originally thought it would be as it's the solvent based version"professional floor coating" and Home depot/lowes near me only sold the water based "garage floor coating" which is complete crap when it comes to resisting chemicals commonly used in the garage.

Erik

Comment

If it's an old floor with lots of oil/gunk, I suggest washing with a diluted mix of muriatic acid and water, then hose down and allow to dry overnight before application.

Comment

Thanks guys some great info. I had not even thought about floor prep. This is a large area so that will be fun!

I am certainly going to look for and need a pro style system. 4300sq of floor

Thanks,

Ty

http://www.europeanplates.com Build and Preview plates
                  R3V Discount Code = R3V2012

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=171701

Now, back to the floor discussion The rustolium I used is a little harder to find then I originally thought it would be as it's the solvent based version"professional floor coating" and Home depot/lowes near me only sold the water based "garage floor coating" which is complete crap when it comes to resisting chemicals commonly used in the garage.

Erik
                    Agreed. Solvent based is the only way to go.

I have the same stuff, might do another coat (since I have another "kit") just to get the flakes more even but my 1 coat with clear is holding up great.
                    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

I am doing some research, went over to garagejournal, and thought I would bump this here to see if anyone wants to weigh in after a few years have passed with their painted floors?

Comment

I did the floors in my garage about 12 years ago, using one of the kits from Home Depot. Can't recall if it was the Rustolium one or not, but it did come with the Muriatic Acid to prep it. I followed all the prep steps and made sure it was stupid clean. Looked good for a few years, but now it really starting to look bad. There is several section that see a lot of water/moisture (garage door lower seal not sealing as well as it should) and the covering has worn completely away.

Also, it seemed to really react to some of the cleaning chemicals I used over the years..

If I re do it, I'm going to try and find a little bit heavier duty covering/paint and lay on more layers than I think I'll need..
                        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                        2016 Ford Flex
                        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
                          I had unsealed concrete, used two rustolium professional epoxy kits in gloss grey then two coats of uv stable clear epoxy with flake.

I would say i'm anything but easy on it the only thing I protect the floor from is welding spatter otherwise it has held up admirably with a few chips and scratches (I dropped my bench vise which chipped the concrete and the epoxy, no surprise there) Few scraches where I slid a fully loaded vending machine across the floor. (Yeah, I probably shoulda expected that one) It has held up to jackstands, engine stands, steel wheels on my hoist, Oil, grease, brakedust, coolant, toluene, brakeparts cleaner, chem dip, brake fluid, Steel grinding debris and all it shows are a faint yellow tinted stains where an oil leak sat on the floor way too long before I cleaned it up. Overall, I love it.

I used the same and its held up great for 6 years now with lots of abuse
                          Originally posted by blunttech
                          Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
                          :shock:

Comment

Working...
                          X