No announcement yet.

Cracked Dash Repair 101*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if Gorilla Glue would be a good alternate filler? I just used it to repair a surf board ding; it expands into a rigid foam, and if you tape over it with blue tape, the expansion is controlled. Sands beautifully when dry, and I would imagine the glue would hold together the two sides of the crack to help prevent further opening over time.

Comment

Originally posted by wikkid View Post
      I wonder if Gorilla Glue would be a good alternate filler? I just used it to repair a surf board ding; it expands into a rigid foam, and if you tape over it with blue tape, the expansion is controlled. Sands beautifully when dry, and I would imagine the glue would hold together the two sides of the crack to help prevent further opening over time.
      if you used Gorilla glue and stop-drilled the crack (to keep it from growing) I bet it would work Perfectly! I have been waiting for a break in my job to repair my dash... and was debating using epoxy or fiberglass resin... but Gorilla glue might be the best alternative.. any idea what kind of temperatures Gorilla glue can withstand? the Dash gets HOT...

Comment

Any word on how well the dash repair is holding up? Are cracks reappearing or does it still look good?

Comment

Looks better than cracked that's for sure. I can see doing it when dashes are pricey, 240z dash for example goes for $800-1000 uncracked, last time I pulled one it cracked on the way out, same thing happened to my uncle last year.

However e30 dashes typically trade at the $80-100 level, may be a worthwhile investment for others (I know you said yours was out anyway, I understand your reasoning).

Here's an in-depth how-to from a 240z guy,

to

Originally posted by blunt
          can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

Not bad for less than $50.00 and a few hours. Good Job!!
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
            IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Originally posted by 303e30 View Post
              Any word on how well the dash repair is holding up? Are cracks reappearing or does it still look good?
              Still looks exactly like it did in my finished picture :D
              My Build Thread Here (E30) ---> http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=240528
              And Here (2002tii) ---> http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...35#post3173435

Comment

Bump!

Anyone know if there is a way to treat a good dash so it doesn't crack? I replaced my dash a few years ago and it cracked when the weather got really cold.. and then another during the summer in the hot weather. I imaging that the cracking comes from expansion and contraction of the plastic. Gah!

Comment

Wonder what it would look like if i did this but painted it brown to match the vinyl interior of my E30
                  Celebrating 30 years.
                  1986 E30 Coupe, assembled in Munich, West Germany, 7/7/86. M10 5 Speed cruisin' through time and space

Comment

Ty!

Comment

The only problem is what you used to fill in the gap
                      Super glue becomes very hard when it dries
                      Which means the next time the dash expands, the super glued part won't expand and you'll get more cracks
                      I used a black silicone tube from home depot
                      It's called " red devil premium elastomeric acrylic latex sealant"
                      It stays resilient after it dries
                      And it's black so it won't show through the black paint like the baking soda

Comment

dude, can you provide closeup pics of your repair? kinda pointless to do a writeup and have pics from 10 feet away
                        Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                        http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

My buddy told me one reason the dashes crack in e30s is because the engineers made the dash a little too big for the car so when the chassis flexes it cracks. I think thats what he said, not sure if its true. IDK
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
                          1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
                          1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
                          1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Originally posted by cjdontthink View Post
                            My buddy told me one reason the dashes crack in e30s is because the engineers made the dash a little too big for the car so when the chassis flexes it cracks. I think thats what he said, not sure if its true. IDK
                            he's an idiot and doesn't know the heat/cold/UV limitations of plastic.

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

Originally posted by ScHpAnKy View Post
                              he's an idiot and doesn't know the heat/cold/UV limitations of plastic.
                              He never said those didn't have an affect as well. Notice I said one reason, not the only reason.

No need to insult his intelligence, this was a long time ago and I can't remember if thats even exactly what he said.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
                              1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
                              1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
                              1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Great write up. But it's not easy finding SEM paint...

Comment

Working...
                                X