Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325ix Transfer Case DIY ( originally written by juubi)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sub'd. Winter project for me.
    2011 335i xDrive Msport - sold
    2002 M5
    '88 325ix turbo build :D

Comment

Hi. Sorry to revive an old post, but i've been searching in forums about my problem and can't find a resolution

My car has the VC dead, and i don't plan on repairing it, the costs in my country are too high.

Is there any consequences by removing the TC Chain? I have a gear noise behind my seats and i think it's coming from the TC Chain slipping. I've got the front drive shaft disconnected so it's not a front diff or splines problem.

Thanks

edit: the slipping gear noise is only at 800-1000 rpm when i'm starting to move
      Last edited by notanawdix80; 04-25-2017, 04:31 AM.

Comment

if your VC is dead the best thing would be to leave it alone.

if you removed the chain, the car would no longer move. The way the planetary gear works without the VC is like an open differential - all the torque goes to the end with the least amount of grip. With the chain removed, the front would effectively have "zero" grip and all the torque would go there.

The chain slipping doesn't sound like a gear noise anyway. It's more like nuts and bolts in a blender.. but if it's really slipping, your TC is in need of repair or replacement anyway, because along with the dead VC the car will no longer move once it gets really bad due to the reasons listed above.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply nando.

I'll leave the TC alone and inspect the rest of the components in the drivetrain. Guibo u-joints etc

Other problem on my ix is lots of vibrations at high speeds, from 80 mph to 110mph. Feels like my dash is falling apart. And so is the steering

Thanks again
          Last edited by notanawdix80; 04-25-2017, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by notanawdix80 View Post
            Thanks for the fast reply nando.

I'll leave the TC alone and inspect the rest of the components in the drivetrain. Guibo u-joints etc

Other problem on my ix is lots of vibrations at high speeds, from 80 mph to 110mph. Feels like my dash is falling apart. And so is the steering

Thanks again
            Wow, do you often drive around at 110mph with your e30? Not sure how mihne would hold up.

Comment

It holds up pretty well. Car feels stable and keeps pushing.
              Not often, i was just testing it.

Comment

Hola argentina��
                Check the driveshaft flex disk and the ujoint. Mine shaked terribly above 60mph. I replaced the whole driveshaft cause no one around here could fix ujoint and balance the shaft. Buena suerte
                Last edited by bankrupt; 04-25-2017, 09:04 PM. Reason: Missing info

Comment

Originally posted by bankrupt View Post
                  Hola argentina��
                  Check the driveshaft flex disk and the ujoint. Mine shaked terribly above 60mph. I replaced the whole driveshaft cause no one around here could fix ujoint and balance the shaft. Buena suerte
                  Thanks for your reply.

I'll be doing that next week. It will be impossible to find an ix driveshaft in my country. I only know five 325ix and no parts for sale.

I've heard of people doing u-joints repair so i will try that. Then i will create a new thread with info about it

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I've heard of people repairing u-joints near my place.
                    Acquiring another driveshaft would be impossibe. Ix's are an exotic thing and there arent even parts for it.

Comment

Check eBay. Some sellers will ship worldwide.
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                      X