Coilovers question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coilovers question

I'm hoping i can find some help on here.

My E30 is mostly a weekend/occasionally drive it to work car but i do want to convert the car to a track/weekend car.

At the moment, i have the car on stock shock with lowering springs. This is how i bought the car. I would like to upgrade to coilovers but i'm having a hard time making a decision.

I've been reading about Fortune Auto and they do not seem bad for $1,200. I've also have heard people mention groundworks.

Can anyone give me their 2 cent?

I'm trying to stay around the the $1,600 budget but i do believe in the saying do it once do it right.

Ground Control were the typical go-to before all the chinese stuff started appearing on the market.

Their kits run either stock valved or custom valved Koni Single Adjustable inserts(Double adjustable as an option), eibach springs, and their own camber plates/sleeves/perches(all of which is top notch - even a few of the high end coilover setups run GC race plates)

I had never heard of Fortune Auto/Broadway Static until around the same time as all the alibaba coil resellers started popping up, like D2/Megan/BC/gekko/etc.

I can't say for sure whether they're more of the same, but they certainly look similar and have nearly identical descriptions to the chinese stuff.
    Last edited by Northern; 02-23-2017, 11:44 AM.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
      Ground Control were the typical go-to before all the chinese stuff started appearing on the market.

Their kits run either stock valved or custom valved Koni Single Adjustable inserts(Double adjustable as an option), eibach springs, and their own camber plates/sleeves/perches(all of which is top notch - even a few of the high end coilover setups run GC race plates)

I had never heard of Fortune Auto/Broadway Static until around the same time as all the alibaba coil resellers started popping up, like D2/Megan/BC/gekko/etc.

I can't say for sure whether they're more of the same, but they certainly look similar and have nearly identical descriptions to the chinese stuff.
      Thank you. So GC are good quality coilovers. I'm kind of leaning towards GC because from the looks they have been around for a while.

Comment

GC makes and packages good stuff, and stands behind it.

If you can't justify the cost, Ireland Engineering stuff usually works... but you
        may get to know them pretty well by the end of the process.

I would not track any of the offshore dampers I have seen so far...

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Go with Ground Control if that is your budget.
          sigpic
          1991 318is S52
          1987 325i Vert
          1991 325i
          2011 e70 X5

Need Anything E30? -> http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Ground Control is a solid entry to mid level track setup, it definitely won't hold you back. They make their own stuff, they have developed it over a long period of time @ the track, and their customer service is good. Koni is a proven damper, and while the yellows aren't a really a motorsports damper, they're good enough to give you repeatable performance while you develop and get quicker.

All of the other stuff is all the same, it's manufactured with cost of production in mind. All of it is fine for a street car, but it's not going to help you learn anything @ the track.
            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

There is a GC setup in the FS section right now

- '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

pm sent
                [1991, E-30 325i, 5-Speed, M20, Brillantrot] [1998, B5 Passat 1.8t] [2007, R6 Yamaha] [2011, Tundra 5.7]

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
                  There is a GC setup in the FS section right now

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=402795
                  Thank you for the info guys. I think i might go with GC.

I might have to jump on this deal. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

If you can't get that deal, I would really just consider getting some H&R sport springs and some fresh Bilstein's or MAYBE some single adjustable Koni's.

The fact is, your car will be more capable than you at this point. So throwing a bunch of money at it right away is not the smart course.

If you look through this section, you'll see this statement over and over. These cars are very capable track machines. Just a fresh set of bushings, some good Bilstein or Koni's and a reputable set of coils will give you a good track bruiser and still retain some civility on the street.

The order I would go in:

Tires
                    Brakes
                    Fresh bushings
                    New shocks/springs
                    Lot's of DE
                    ..maybe coilovers.
                    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                    2016 Ford Flex
                    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                      If you can't get that deal, I would really just consider getting some H&R sport springs and some fresh Bilstein's or MAYBE some single adjustable Koni's.

The fact is, your car will be more capable than you at this point. So throwing a bunch of money at it right away is not the smart course.

If you look through this section, you'll see this statement over and over. These cars are very capable track machines. Just a fresh set of bushings, some good Bilstein or Koni's and a reputable set of coils will give you a good track bruiser and still retain some civility on the street.

The order I would go in:

Tires
                      Brakes
                      Fresh bushings
                      New shocks/springs
                      Lot's of DE
                      ..maybe coilovers.

Thanks for the advice.

I've done the brakes and tires. I do need to buy new bushings. I might just end up buying new shocks/ springs.

I do need more seat time.

Do you think the shock will give out when abusing the shock on the track?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

damn Rocco's setup is perfect, and sold!

I second the GC setup and they can get you a good spring rating so you can still comfortably daily drive the car. I have 500# front and 700# rear and its still good for daily duties even though my car isnt a daily anymore
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

The order I would go in:
                          I would agree with you, except-
                          front camber.
                          The stock car just doesn't have enough for the track.

So if you've had a few track days, like it, and are ready to
                          upgrade the car to be track- focussed at all, it makes sense
                          to spend the money on the front suspension early on.

So yes, a season of wearing the front outer edges off is recommended.
                          But at the point of any front upgrade, the ability to add camber is key.
                          And being able to easily and inexpensively change spring rate is bonus.

...but yes, track the stock car at first, because it IS better than we are- before
                          a few good lapping days. Err, I mean, "driver training events."

just my 02,

t
                          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Get seat time any way you can and do it as you build your car into a track car. By doing this you'll have a better appreciation for what you are trying to fix, what changes need to be made, and the results of said changes.

With that being said....

I am going to second, third, and fourth the recommendations for GC.
                            My car started out with Bilstein HD's, Eibach sway bar (rear), IE springs, and IE fixed camber plates. Car handled well but on quick stuff, like slaloms, it didn't transition very well and the body roll killed me. Plus the car sat very low and scraped on every thing.

I went with GC coil over setup and was able to raise the car and corner balance to 50.1%. My spring rates are little "extreme" as the GC rep pointed out but, I love it. If I ever decide I want different rates, springs are easily purchased and installed. GC has lifetime warranty on everything which is also very handy.

Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
                            '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
                            Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
                            1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
                            Check us out
                            Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

Originally posted by Los818 View Post
                              Thanks for the advice.

Do you think the shock will give out when abusing the shock on the track?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Stock shocks - yes- a good set of bilsteins or koni's with proper springs - no
                              Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
                              '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
                              Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
                              1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
                              Check us out
                              Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

Working...
                              X