Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor wont rotate by hand!

Need your help here guys.
    So I am doing a bit of learning on this engine rebuild so pardon me if I miss something here.
    I have a BMW M50tu with a 2.8 crank in it. I set piston 1 at TDC, Set vanos timing and went to rotate the crank by hand as a quick test.
    it will not do a full stroke only half of one. At first I thought it was a timing issue and the #1 was hitting the valves but was/am confused when I realized piston 1 ins't stopping at TDC its stuck going halfway down, then when I turn it the other way it will go through TDC and make it halfway down the other part of the stroke and stop. WTF am I missing here. Sorry if I'm missing info here.

Plugs pulled?
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

yea I pulled the plugs on it so and I can see that its not hitting the valves on it. I got to thinking if I missed something since I decided to run an m52b30 intake cam. I cant remember if there was something funny about it or not and maybe thats whats causing the issue.

Comment

Looks like I was right and missed a step. "If you want to have more power than S50 engine from 1000 to 6000 rpm then get M54B30 intake camshaft(240 duration, 9.7mm lift you must shorten the vanos gear 4mm with grinder on the cam) and just reuse your M50 exhaust camshaft." But Im not sure where to shorten it. Found the cam the other day at the yard and wasnt planning on using it. Didnt do any research on the cam since I didnt plan on using it. Now I need to figure out where 4-5mm comes off this cam gear

Comment

Well I shortened the cam gear by 5mm and this still didnt fix my issue, what am I missing here?

Comment

Stupid suggestion but did you put the girdle back in the oil pan when you put the E34 pan on it? if you used the factory girdle thing (it attaches to the main journals) it could be contacting the crank.
            1989 332IS -S-Fiddy Four-Some weight removed.
            5 lug E36 M3 Brakes Coilovers and LTW's and No ABS.

Comment

Crank alignment tool?

Comment

Did you use only the 2.8L crank and reuse M50 rods and pistons? Your pistons are hitting the head.
                -Alex

Comment

Working...
                X