What is this on the front bumper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this on the front bumper?

I recently purchased a 90 325i. The front bumper filler was cracked so I bought one on ebay. The one I bought had this square cut out, mine was not cut. What is this for? I see something poking out of the bumper in this picture I found on this site.

Looks like I might be doing some bondo work to get this filled back in before I paint and mount the piece I bought but I'm interested in knowing what it was for.

Thanks in advance.

Doug
    '90 325i
    '73 2002tii
    Attached Files

It's for a screw in tow hook that is stored in the trunk.
    sigpic

Comment

that's the tow hook threads. there's a small snap in piece of plastic that covers it when its not in use.
      Dan

Comment

Would you patch the hole if U were me?

To me it looks crappy. I'm sure there are other places to hook onto if needed. Thoughts/suggestions? What have others done.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

lol no, don't fill it in. Just go to the dealer or junkyard and grab the little plastic trim piece that goes there.
          - skipping the E36 generation completely -

Originally posted by Stephen
          Alot of newer cars do nothing for me

Comment

Put a tow hook in there and drive it around like that.... call it fuh raze.

I did:

:pimp:

- Erick
            Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
            EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
            FullOpp Stickers for sale!
            NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
            Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
            ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

i kinda like the fuh-raze look.
              Last edited by Tree18is; 02-09-2007, 10:48 AM. Reason: spelled fuh raze wrong...

Comment

If that piece just pops out, then I have it on my existing piece

And now to make you young guys laugh......what is fuh raze? I'm closing in on 50 and probably have another slang term for that. :D

Comment

I'm 21 and i dont know what alot of these guys are talking about. nice to see a 2002faq member on here.
                  "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

FUH RAZE

To modify your street car with go-fast race parts or other setups which hold little to no value to the driver, but is good for posing. This is especially popular in the BMW E30 community. Similar to rice, except trying to look like a track rat instead of a street racer.

btw, it can be used sarcastically by people who are actually upgrading their stuff for good reasons in jest towards the people who do it solely for looks.

Man I just deleted my high beams!!! And took out my passenger seat!

Dude, that's so FUH RAZE!!!

... I feel like I've lost my noob-ness now.

Comment

Originally posted by danjrusdug View Post
                      And now to make you young guys laugh......what is fuh raze? I'm closing in on 50 and probably have another slang term for that. :D
                      Dan

There is a small 1" x 1"(?) plastic cover plate that will cover up that hole.
                      If you were in need of pulling the car onto a trailer if it suddenly broke down, you screw the tow hook into the bumper through that hole. Normally the tow hook is in the trunk, and not exposed like in Erik's photo. I think the plastic cover piece for that hole is less than $2 from the dealer.

Hope that helps, and don't be too put off by the childish antics of many on this forum. I may be "older" than most on here, but I can still play along with their games ;)

Kind Regards,
                      Chris
                      Below the radar...

Comment

Thanks to all.

And Chris, the name is Doug not Dan. danjrusdug is a phonetic play for Dangerous Doug, something my friends called me in the 70's due to the way I drove. :p

Pat, I sent you a PM

Comment

fuh raze = for race
                          Originally posted by blunt
                          can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

Hi Doug, I'm 40 and we're both still young :p

Ok, I have that little cover installed in my car, it looks great and flush, just get the cover and it'll look great, also i have a towing hook through my front and rear aprons ????

well, if the germans put them there, you will need them some day. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by ivo316 View Post
                              Hi Doug, I'm 40 and we're both still young :p
                              hmmmmmm.........questionable at best. jk. Im 26 and go for months not knowing what the new slang shit is and Im too embarassed to ask so I just dont use it till I deduce what it means. haha. Its so cool to see a person thats closing in on 50 and still into old school Bimmers. Im so gonna be you one day. As long as I can hold off on the responsibility and family and buying a house and all that crap for as long as I can. I dont wanna grow up, cuz Im a Toyz R Us kid! That still rings true today.

Mariano

2001 Titaniumsilber 540i Sport 6-Speed
                              1990 Diamantschwarz Alpha-N 2.5L ///M3
                              1986 Alpinweiss 325e M50B25 (R.I.P.)

-Talk to me when more sound comes from the induction than from the exhaust...

-Argentina........lo mas grande que hay.

Comment

Working...
                              X