DIY: Black Plastic Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worked for Me

I tried the 50/50 mix following jhaurimn's instructions and then used Luke's approach to getting cosmoline off the valve cover and intake manifold. What a difference! If I could post photos I would share a pretty dramatic before and after. I've cleaned the engine bay before but it has never looked this good. These are simple and inexpensive approaches to maintaining the car. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

So it's been a while now. I think the shiny washed off in the car wash, so they're back to chalky.

I may try plasti-dipping the door moldings and the trim around the windows and belt moldings, to see if I really want it all black.

Comment

Folks, I hate to just come back and be 'that guy' but linseed oil is what was used in place of modern transparent urethane coatings... before there were urethane coatings.

Apart from the combustion concerns (which should perhaps be studied a little more carefully: in particular, with a thin layer that has already polymerised... you do not need to worry), which really are non-existent, it is meaningfully outperformed in any application by modern products. To include something like a can of Rustoleum matte clear, among others...

Comment

Originally posted by nmlss2006 View Post
          Folks, I hate to just come back and be 'that guy' but linseed oil is what was used in place of modern transparent urethane coatings... before there were urethane coatings.

Apart from the combustion concerns (which should perhaps be studied a little more carefully: in particular, with a thin layer that has already polymerised... you do not need to worry), which really are non-existent, it is meaningfully outperformed in any application by modern products. To include something like a can of Rustoleum matte clear, among others...

Well, ofcourse painting is more effective. But painting requires masking, removal of parts, etc.

There isnt really a permanent solution to trim fading. It happens no matter what product you use. (even your spray can clear coat will fade eventually) This combination however is extremely cheap, very fast to apply, and will last at the very least a few months. Which is comparable to most, much more expensive products.
          Current:
          1989 325i
          1988 M3
          1987 325ic
          Past:
          2001 330ci
          2001 M3

Comment

I did the linseed oil method a couple weeks ago and it was so stupid easy to do, and made so much extra for applying later on that I don't mind reapplying it every few months.

Heck, its a 25 year old car with 25 year old plastic. I'm not expecting it to be perfectly black unless I am replacing the parts with brand new OEM replacements.
            Steve • Toronto
            1991 318is • Brillantrot
            Build Thread

Comment

I did it last night and I agree with the above poster. It took some trim that was so grey i was convinced that it would need to be painted and made it look black again
              Originally posted by blunttech
              Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
              :shock:

Comment

Just did my 2010 Tundra. Looks great, thanks!
                Attached Files

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

If you want this to work even better try running a heat gun over top of it for a little bit before using this treatment. Mine looked brand new when I did it. Be careful with the heat gun, just experiment on the cautious side. Or practice with an old or broken piece you are not using before trying on the parts on your car.
                  How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Do you recommend doing this on the front grill?

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                      Do you recommend doing this on the front grill?
                      It will work great on the front grilles. Take the time to take them off the car, wipe them clean, then apply. Wont last forever, but will last for quite a long time and can always be re-applied. Will make them look like they were freshly painted.
                      Current:
                      1989 325i
                      1988 M3
                      1987 325ic
                      Past:
                      2001 330ci
                      2001 M3

Comment

Wow, Has anyone tried this on bumper shrouds?

Comment

Bookmarked, thank you

Comment

Working...
                          X