Reusing piston rings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reusing piston rings?

I was wondering if you can reuse pistons rings? My cylinder walls still had cross hatch's on them with 150k miles. Is it not recommended? If I buy new rings then I will need a hone also, then I will need to set the rings properly.

If you have it all apart replace the rings.
    If you start burning oil right off the bat you will not be happy.
    Why risk it?
    Project
    Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyPrime View Post
      I was wondering if you can reuse pistons rings? My cylinder walls still had cross hatch's on them with 150k miles. Is it not recommended? If I buy new rings then I will need a hone also, then I will need to set the rings properly.
      At 150k, no it would not be smart to reuse them. As rough as the factory honed the cylinders I think you would still have cross hatch marks on those million mile motors!

You wouldn't necessarily need it honed*** but will need to at least to deglazed the cylinder. You can run a bead/flex type 'cylinder hone', there is also a simple stone type but for home use I prefer the bead type.

You should check the ring gaps and install in the correct orientation and 'clock' them prior to installing the pistons.

***To have it honed would be to true up the walls(a big professional machine), these other types are just to deglaze and provide a surface texture to assist in seating the rings
      My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
      4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

The correctest way would be to replace them. That being said, I'd likely just "rent" a hone from o'reilly and slap some light crosshatches in there, clock the rings, and be on my way. But I'm a huge redneck who really doesn't like spending money. Like really.
        Originally posted by Andy.B
        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
        1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

What does a ball hone cost? Maybe $60? I don't see much benefit of just deglazing and re-clocking the rings. If the rings are stuck out of position you probably need new ones. Motors with 150k can be in great shape or beat to shit if the prior owners took little care. I would add the rings to your budget as others have recommended. I guess you get what you pay for.
          Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Don't dick around and replace them.
            Estoguy
            1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Replace them. The ball hones are $30, the rings are $60, get almost- new motor, be happy.

That said, at 150k the pistons may be worn out... but don't think about that!

Do get new rod bolts. And head bolts. Yes, this is not free. No, it's very cheap
              compared to what happens should something go wrong.

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
              X