One final problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One final problem!

Guys I finally got my e30 started again it feels so awesome!!!!!!!!!! I just have one more problem before I can drive it- the alternator belt system is making sparks and I'm not sure how or why. My alternator tightener bracket is messed up so I can't change the tension so that needs to be replaced, but what would be making these sparks? https://vimeo.com/132864960
    BMW tech
    Umass Amherst
    05 wrx sti

The big pulley that the cps looks at is touching the pulley that the fan attaches to. How should I solve it?
    BMW tech
    Umass Amherst
    05 wrx sti

Comment

One final problem!

Any ideas? Could the crank disk be too loose or uneven? I don't want to rip apart everything if there is an easy fix

Just jacked up the front and there IS a coolant leak from the water pump.. I guess I'm going to have to get in there again anyways
      BMW tech
      Umass Amherst
      05 wrx sti

Comment

Did you just do a timing belt job?

We had someone replace the timing belt on our track car and had a similar issue. It turns out that the mechanic must have pried really hard on the crank pulley to get it loose and ended up pulling the crankshaft forward. This caused the crankshaft pulley to bash into the water pump pulley. It made a very similar noise to what I hear in that video.

Long story short - in my case it was crank walk. It solved itself on my track car (no joke). Hopefully you are as lucky.

Comment

Is the crank balancer or the water pump pulley wobbling at all? I've seen folks bend bent water pump pulleys from aggressive prying.

The E30 collection:
          1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
          1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
          1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
          1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
          1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
          1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
          1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
          2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
          2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

One final problem!

Originally posted by Cephas View Post
            Did you just do a timing belt job?

We had someone replace the timing belt on our track car and had a similar issue. It turns out that the mechanic must have pried really hard on the crank pulley to get it loose and ended up pulling the crankshaft forward. This caused the crankshaft pulley to bash into the water pump pulley. It made a very similar noise to what I hear in that video.

Long story short - in my case it was crank walk. It solved itself on my track car (no joke). Hopefully you are as lucky.

What is crank walk? Yes I just did timing belt and it seems to run fine besides this. It sounds exactly like it did prior besides the high pitched sound. And I had to pry it off with a crowbar after about 10 minutes of mallet didn't work. Should I just let it run? What if it doesn't solve itself? Is it going to break the engine or something?

They are just barely touching- could a tap on the crank with a mallet help me out?

Originally posted by 101 View Post
            Is the crank balancer or the water pump pulley wobbling at all? I've seen folks bend bent water pump pulleys from aggressive prying.
            Neither wobble. Both are tight. but I will check to see if there are any issues with them I need to go back in to tighten a water pump bolt. Before I put everything back on though they seemed to be to spec I would have noticed a bend or imperfection I hope!

Thanks for the replies guys!
            Last edited by e30onBBSs; 07-09-2015, 12:32 AM.
            BMW tech
            Umass Amherst
            05 wrx sti

Comment

Originally posted by e30onBBSs View Post
              What is crank walk? Yes I just did timing belt and it seems to run fine besides this. It sounds exactly like it did prior besides the high pitched sound. And I had to pry it off with a crowbar after about 10 minutes of mallet didn't work. Should I just let it run? What if it doesn't solve itself? Is it going to break the engine
              Crank walk is when the thrust bearings on the crankshaft wear out and the crankshaft moves along the horizontal axis of the engine. Google it for videos and better explanation.

It can definitely ruin your engine. It also is typically not fixed without new crankshaft bearings.

How many miles are on that m20?

Comment

One final problem!

Crank walk is when the thrust bearings on the crankshaft wear out and the crankshaft moves along the horizontal axis of the engine. Google it for videos and better explanation.

It can definitely ruin your engine. It also is typically not fixed without new crankshaft bearings.

How many miles are on that m20?

Like 180k. The odo is broken at 173K

I watched and read a lot after I asked, how would I know for sure if it walks?
                Crank bearings would be one crazy job!
                Last edited by e30onBBSs; 07-09-2015, 09:11 AM.
                BMW tech
                Umass Amherst
                05 wrx sti

Comment

I hate to say it man, but my vote goes for the crowbar causing you some serious pain. Always use a puller to get pulleys off.

Comment

I really really hope this tiny tolerance solves the problem. I didn't tighten all the crank disc bolts enough- we will see! Its about 1 mm
                    BMW tech
                    Umass Amherst
                    05 wrx sti

Comment

Tightened it up with 2 bolts on opposite sides- no more gap
                      BMW tech
                      Umass Amherst
                      05 wrx sti

Comment

Test fit, while tripping balls as to whether or not I fixed it...

YES! Pretty sure its fixed. We will see when I start it up later!
                        BMW tech
                        Umass Amherst
                        05 wrx sti

Comment

All fixed?

Comment

All fixed?

All fixed. It overheated too and I got that sorted as well! My car is a beater but mechanically it's getting so much better.
                            BMW tech
                            Umass Amherst
                            05 wrx sti

Comment

Working...
                            X