No announcement yet.

How to retrofit ‘double lock’ driver door lock and keep central locking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys, great write up, thanks. My locks work great except for when I lock the driver's side, it prevents me from being able to unlock the passenger side. Can you specify for me exactly what causes that? I other words what mechanical function of the lock differentiates the partial turn from full 90 degree turn of the key? Thanks!

Comment

this was bumped by a spammer, but while we are here...

anyone able to remove a lock cylinder from a late model 4 door? how the hell are you supposed to fit your hands in there? I have gigantic ape hands, I pulled the door panel and screwed around for an hour before I gave up. I can't even get close to the clip that holds the lock to the door, much less get any of it apart - the window & regulator is just in the way.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
        That little microswitch is called the "Unlock Inhibit" switch, I presume its function is obvious just from the name, ya?
        @StereoInstaller1 - I have an issue with my double lock stuck on, I don't understand the locking mechanism. Can you clarify how this works for me please?

My understanding is that there are two actions:

1. turning the key 45 deg locks
        2. turning the key 90 deg double locks

Are both of these actions electronically triggered by the single micro switch in the drivers door? And if so, does the 45 deg turn click the switch, and the 90 turn hold the switch down?

I have my door in pieces and I've tried a new Central Locking Unit, no joy, yet, running out of ideas other than eliminating the drivers door loop.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          this was bumped by a spammer, but while we are here...

anyone able to remove a lock cylinder from a late model 4 door? how the hell are you supposed to fit your hands in there? I have gigantic ape hands, I pulled the door panel and screwed around for an hour before I gave up. I can't even get close to the clip that holds the lock to the door, much less get any of it apart - the window & regulator is just in the way.
          can you get an extra long pair of needle nose pliers on the clip where it bends away from the door? this is how i get them off coupes and cabbys.
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

it would have to be like a foot long. I can't even get close to it. And then how do I get it back on?

I've done it on a 2 door and it was really easy.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
            X