Weird idle issue cant finy anyplace for fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird idle issue cant finy anyplace for fix

So to cut this short my car idles at 1500rpm unless i forcibly push close the throttle then it idles steadily at around 800rpm. As soon as i slightly pull it open it does its 1500rpm idle. Ive lubed all the linkages and springs, cleaned inside and even replaced the ICV and nothing worked. Ive been struggling with this issue for like 4 months. Any help at all would be extremely appreciated!

TPS possibly.... test it

Comment

hows the throttle cable tension?

Comment

Cable tension is good.i recently replaced the rubber bushing the cable had and its all good on that end. Ill try testing the tps

Comment

I had a 1000RPM idle because i had put a TPS sensor back in a little too tight (turned a bit too much) and it was actually holding the throttle plate open a bit. I could press the throttle linkage back which would lower the idle.

Comment

Originally posted by Mook613 View Post
            I had a 1000RPM idle because i had put a TPS sensor back in a little too tight (turned a bit too much) and it was actually holding the throttle plate open a bit. I could press the throttle linkage back which would lower the idle.
            That sounds exactly like my problem. If i press the linkage it it idles normally. How do you adjust it?

Comment

It was a problem for me because I removed my throttle body to refresh it and put in a new TPS.
              The TPS has a simple microswitch for the idle position. The throttle plate shaft turns a piece inside the TPS. So when the throttle plate is closed (idle position), inside the TPS the piece is pressing on the microswitch which tells the ICV and ECU to idle. When you start to open the throttle the part inside the TPS moves off of the switch and then eventually hits another switch which indicates a WOT position.
              If the TPS is turned too much then the part inside the TPS may be pressing on the idle switch too early and preventing the throttle plate from fully closing. This would cause your idle to be a bit higher.

Easiest way to adjust is to take the throttle body off, loosen the TPS screws and then turn it so that it just makes the TPS 'click' when releasing the throttle to idle. Then tighten it up and reinstall.

BUT, if you've never touched your TPS before then I'm not sure how this would have happened.

I am in the GTA and can help you out sometime soon if you'd like.

Comment

Might have been the previous owner that did it .Is it possible to do it without taking the throttle body off? And would be great if you could help. And thanks a ton already for the current help!

Comment

Originally posted by smashervt View Post
                  Might have been the previous owner that did it .Is it possible to do it without taking the throttle body off? And would be great if you could help. And thanks a ton already for the current help!
                  You have to take the TB off to get the the TPS. You can take it off pretty easily, about 10 mins with the right tools.

When you adjust the tps, start from a wide open throttle to close. Adjust it so it clicks just before its completely closed. Before you put it back together, preform a continuity test to make sure it's been done correctly, so you don't have to open it again.
                  Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                  Q
                  :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by smashervt View Post
                    Yah, so for sure possible.
                    Best to take the throttle body off seeing as how easy it is. Might want to get a new gasket or make one from gasket paper. Old one tends to break (an easy one to trace on to some paper that you can buy from canadian tire).
                    If you haven't done the coolant passage gasket then you may want to get one of those while you have the throttle body off.

Send me a pm and we can find some time to get it done.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X