X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5-lug Setup

5-Lug Write-Up
    Removed the site, got really tired of stupid e-mails and PM's. Especially, people on the fence, that want me to convince them to do something to their car.

NEW LINK IS UP

Enjoy :)
    Yes
    89.83%
    No
    10.17%
    Last edited by Aptyp; 07-15-2015, 08:38 PM.

:bow:

Comment

Do you have a price list or final cost for us lazy fuckers?
      flickr
      ifuckindrift

Comment

You can also do e30 M3 drive flanges/bearings/axle nuts/locks/rotors/pads with e36 318ti/Z3 rear carriers with e32 735 rear calipers on the rear...

E36 318ti carriers will need slight modification to fit over the e30 M3 rear rotors

Comment

e30 m3 rotor is 12mm vs e36 10mm. But if you have access to all those m3 parts already, why would you even be modifying anything?

Grinding Caliper Carriers is not a good idea IMO. Something about grinding away at your brakes seem like a dangerous idea. I wouldn't do it.

I will research dealer list pricing and put it up, as long as you guys remember that they will be list prices and make things look pricier than what could be had cheaper by simple shopping around (Advance Auto, Get in the Zone, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
            e30 m3 rotor is 12mm vs e36 10mm. But if you have access to all those m3 parts already, why would you even be modifying anything?

Grinding Caliper Carriers is not a good idea IMO. Something about grinding away at your brakes seem like a dangerous idea. I wouldn't do it.

I will research dealer list pricing and put it up, as long as you guys remember that they will be list prices and make things look pricier than what could be had cheaper by simple shopping around (Advance Auto, Get in the Zone, etc.)

The e30 M3 brake carriers/calipers are NLA (front and rear) that is the reason of going the route I mentioned for the rear (e32 735 rear brakes calipers are easy to find and the same part used for the e30 M3). This route works just fine, the amount taken off of the e36 318ti carriers is minimal (tons of meat left). Several people on here have gone that route with no issues (inlcuding me).

If you shop around, you can buy the e30 M3 parts needed new and pick up used e36 318ti/Z3 rear carriers & e32 735 rear calipers and have in the $500 range with new e30 M3 rotors/pads.

Guess all I am getting at is doing the rear with e30 M3 parts is not all that expensive, its the front e30 M3 parts that will clean your wallet out...

Sorry for the thread jack, carry on...
            Last edited by atomic; 02-22-2009, 05:49 PM.

Comment

This is great info guys, thanks again.
              Originally posted by BillBrasky
              E36's are the Stephen Baldwin of the 3 series family. They barely hold everything together and they only sold a lot because of the popularity of their older sibling.
              1991 318i Alpine II - S50/5-lug swapped - track car
              1989 325i Cirrusblau - Daily
              1970 2500 - Malaga over Grey Cloth
              2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

Good info, Atomic. I just didn't have e30 m3 parts to experiment with. I'd like this thread to become THE thread that people get info, because there are a lot of threads already with lots of info scattered around, and some are just plain bullshit.

I am currently messing around with a way to install e36 hubs in trailing arms, and rotor spacer with a hub center for a rotor.

Comment

Updated and added more info.

I can't wait to have my front done this weekend...

Then I'll jump back to trying to fit e36 standard hubs onto e30 trailing arms (clearance behind the hub is ~1mm). My fear is that installing that hub would hit parking brake, but my solution to this pesky problem will possibly be not using parking brakes at all and making this a track only option. This setup would also allow to run factory offset, which means it will allow better fitment for deep-dish and staggered wheels.

Comment

It sure was an experience doing the swap on my car. And then when we did yours and we found out a whole new list of things once again. But hey it turned out great and learned a lot of new things while doin it.
                    ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

yup, knowledge is power...

I just thought this knowledge should have already been here. So many people talk about their swaps, and try to get brownie points with community, but can't make an informative write-up for others to see and attempt. I really feel like all the info in this thread should have been covered a long time ago, but I am kind of glad to have a chance to contribute at something.

Thinking of doing one of this for my turbo set-up, and helping Charlie and Beau do their m50 write-ups, since they ran into some issues that aren't discussed.

Comment

Awsome info!! Thanks, I am planning a 5 lug swap soon.
                        sigpic

Comment

Another update in FAQ, for another very good question that I didn't cover.

Thanks for questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post

Can I use z3 trailing arms?
                            Yes you can, and again, I must recommend against it.
                            1. Z3 trailing arm is spaced nearly 2 inches outward, requiring wheels with ET60 offset. No one makes them, unless you're looking at custom wheels, driving you cost way up. If you're building REALLY WIDE body e30, you be able to get away with using them.
                            2. You'll need z3 axles and differential flanges as well, even further driving up the price of your build.
                            3. e30 ABS sensor WILL NOT plug into 318ti trailing arms, as e36 ABS/Speed sensors are shorter.

so the added width that people run into when swapping in the Z3 trailing arms comes from the arms themselves and not the hubs? That will be perfect because I was always told that the trailing arms are the same for Z3s as the E30s, and I just wanna do the Bearing/flange/rotor/caliper upgrade like you outlined in this thread.
                            I will not run into any weird offset issues with this setup? my hubs wont stick out too far? I plan on using E36/46 style rims. can i choose between Z3 or 318ti rotors or am i stuck with one or the other (my car is the later larger bearing trailing arm)
                            There are no problems with backing plates being too small?

Also I already have a set of E36 (i think they're from a 325i) rear calipers. these will fit on Z3/318ti brackets? I think they may have to be swapped side to side.. but any other info would be great.

Heres what im planning on using:

M-coupe(hope they fit the same as M3 struts) front struts with my current H&R E30 springs- (dont know what strut bearing to run yet)
                            Standard E36 front spindles and brakes
                            M-coupe lower control arms (same as M3, right?)
                            E30 M3 offset CABs
                            Z3 rear hub flanges and bearings
                            Z3 rear rotors and caliper bracket
                            Standard E36 rear calipers
                            E36 rims

does this all sound ok? thanks

Comment

Rear is up there in original post with all those questions answered.

Hopefully I'll be answering front question this week, as it's been taking forever for me to get to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X