Depo wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depo wiring

I just bought some depo smileys and other than the widespread opinion in all of the posts from 2006 that they suck and leak I can't find any useful information on the install. I'm a mechanical guy, not great with electrical so any help is appreciated. Their "plug and play" system turns out to be not so plug and play with the sealed beams. So my question is do I need to find some 9006 females for this and just put spades into the old three prong sealed beam plugs or use the useless looking harnesses they sent packaged separately? and if so how would I go about this, they have crimp adapters but they're males. Any help would be really appreciated. I'm trying to finish this tonight.

Get some connectors that fit the euro lights(same square with notched corner you find in other places like the fog connectors) or use the adapter with some us ellips connectors. I spliced the connector into the body harness after using a test light to label the wires, then you can power the smileys from either the sidemarkers or the parking light.

I would definitely adjust the lights as deep into their housings as possible before you install and aim them, they'll stick out otherwise, and I would also run an additional bead of sealant around all of the seams because they will leak after a year or two.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

also, if you want your lowbeams to stay on once your highbeams are turned on, you'll need to connect #30 to #87a on the high beam relay.

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10086 is a good diy with pics actually.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

The harness is for ellipsoid equipped cars. Since you have sealed beams just cut and crimp on the male spades u need to plug into your car's harness. Those two female terminals on the depo harness are supposed to slide over the male terminals on the depo without a euro connector.
        Last edited by reelizmpro; 06-15-2013, 08:58 AM.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

So I just need to find some 9006 connectors

Comment

Depo wiring

Anyone have a part number for the plugs to connect to depo e code smileys? Got a set shipped to me and they didn't come with the jumpers. I am converting a sealed beam car to these, but can't seem to track down the part number for the euro wiring plugs they require....

Edit, found 2/3rd of the answer here:
            You can get them brand new on eBay for $150, if you buy them from redcometM3. The quality is excellent (Depo brand), and they include a wiring harness, which helps, but you'll still need more parts from the dealer. These euro spec lights use H1 bulbs, the US spec headlights use 9005/9006 bulbs.

Still need the city light plug part number!!
            Anyone know this or have a source to find it?
            Last edited by LEANE30; 08-02-2017, 07:59 PM.
            ...what hasn’t been done to an m20 yet?

m20 Oil Stencil

Comment

The newer DEPO smilies or at least the smoked ones do not use the euro connectors. Well the city light does but high and low use a different setup. I had to go to an auto parts store and match the connectors that I needed.

1992 BMW 325iC
              1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
              1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Working...
              X