update on my cah :: plans for winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jflower
    yeah, the body shop i'm planning on using is Mike's auto body in Malden, MA. they do all the TMS work, and tons of high-end paint work. We use him for all our stuff here at HMS too. I've seen a lot of Mike's work and it's really amazing. He did Roy WIcklund's E28 M5 for one lap... looked f00king amazing, too bad it didn't finish :). i've spent time at the shop and all i can say is that it's a real quality operation that still has flexibility in the project. He's willing to help me prep it correctly, letting me to the things i have the skills to do as to keep the costs down, as well as helping me get the materials.
    :up:
    Roys car is drop dead GORGEOUS AND AMAZINGLY SEXY.
    Dont even get me started on that whole 1-Lap Fiasco. The shop who built that engine ************ (I'm not going to say who) did a shitty job, and deserves the current situation they are in for his shoddy work. :evil: Roy truly got the short end of the stick on 1-Lap.
    I remember when his co-driver, our sponsored club racer called....
    "Uhhh Mario, the car is burning 1 quart of oil every 500 miles. We have almost ZERO compression in Cylinder 3. I'm taking the red eye into Boston tonight, I'll be there at 12AM. I want to pick up my J-Stock M3 and drive back out to Tenn for the rest of 1-Lap."

There was a mad dash to ensure his car was totally sorted and add graphics. I had JUST taken them all off. :roll:

But then again its nice to know once Roy's M5 is repaired, the car will be under the care of VSR for the remainder of its life. :D

If that shop even does 1/2 as nice a job on your car, it will be an insanely clean and beautiful paint job.

I'm looking into dropping my car off someplace come spring fully prepped to get painted. But given its 230k miles... I might pass and just buy a 2002 for fun instead! 8)

Roys Car for those who dont know it:
    Start:

Finish
    Below the radar...

Comment

yeah, i remember talking to roy about the car right when he got back.. we had a good laugh about Mr. Engine Builder. I have no hard feelings towards the guy that built the motor, he's helped me out many times and is helping out another one of the guys here right now... (he was originally supposed to be part of HMS).. but thank god for eric's detirmination.. his car is sick as well, compliments to your father..

i must say that it's a slippery slope... once i decided i wanted a clean paint job, it was like i got beat up. first i was like "just throw a DA at it, paint it and call it good" then i woke up and was stripping every piece off the car preparing to strip to metal, weld in new OE body parts and drop insane amounts of cash...

in any event lemme know if i can help with your paint job... by next spring i will have painted probably two or three cars so i'll have more experience...
      sigpic
      king of bad decisions.

Comment

Mr. Engine Builder has a very LARGE amount of skill, and has TREMENDOUS potential. However in my opinion, due to paths of life, however you wish to phrase it, the skills greatly suffer.
        Regardless, the car was great when originally built, and still has amazing potential.

Eric over-reved at the Club Race at NHIS last 2 w/e's ago when Gilbert took the checker both races. Eric's car will be with us all winter for a refresh, along with 3-4 other E30 M3's awaiting rebuilds. Throw in the CSL, 2002's and E36 Racers a 1950's Allard Jx-2.... its gonna be a busy "off season" :shock: We also have to build our IP E30 M3 for next season, rebuild our Donzi's engine... lol... I think over X-mas break I'm going to get lots of learning on engine build-ups.

The path for a repaint is always tough. Deciding what level you want is the hardest part. I'd go for a nice smooth clean repaint, with striaght body work. Not something that is so pristine you will run to find cover when it rains... ;)
        Below the radar...

Comment

UNHCLL,

edit-I got the info I wanted off the boston bmwcca site, never mind

You get your mountain bike sorted out?

FredK

Originally posted by whysimon
          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

yeah, I found a rebuild kit for the front shocks. They are much better now.
            I will still be buying a new bike come spring, but this was a cheap solution for the rest of the season!

Thanks for all your help!
            Below the radar...

Comment

Working...
            X