S50 / M50 Rebuild process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S50 / M50 Rebuild process

So... If someone had a completely disassembled motor, where would they start rebuilding it? And what would be some good things to check to make sure it's worth the time and money putting it back together?

I recently got an S50 with extra parts, in 4 totes... I realize I am in over my head, but plan on making it a learning experience

Also, any good schematics/anatomy resources? first thing I am going to do is clean and sort, but I would be lying if I said I could ID everything off the bat.

Dirty30 by M K, on Flickr

Pull everything apart, keep it organized, and start off by cleaning gunk off the motor. Hot tank the block, make sure it's straight w no cracks. Send head off to get resurfaced and check for cracks and warpage. New main bearings and bolts, connecting rod bearings and bolts, piston rings, all new gaskets (HG kit online) rear main seal, front timing case cover gasket.
    This is a decent start and I could be forgetting stuff since it's off the top of my head. I was in your scenario a while back and successfully rebuilt my s50. If your plan is to rebuild to stock spec then you should be ok with what I listed. I suggest you do a lot of browsing and read up on the motor to get familiar with what you're dealing with.

Comment

Remove the connecting rods and pistons. remove crank and inspect all the connecting rod and main bearings. Most of the time you can get away with using STD size bearings again. plastigage all your new bearings you should have .0007" to .0020" clearance.
      Send the block to your favorite machine shop with the pistons that came out of it. Your machine shop will advise you if you can reuse your pistons. If the block is too worn then you will need to source over sized pistons and have the block honed to match. even if you can reuse your stock pistons you'll need new piston rings which you can gap yourself during assembly.
      The cylinder head will need to be tanked, surfaced, and have a valve job. Your machine shop will let you know what parts to buy once they have it all apart. Every cylinder head I've had rebuilt usually requires some valve guides, and sometimes valves.
      All the specialized work needs to be performed be a machine shop. You can assemble it all yourself once you get everything back from the machine shop. That is the fun part.

Comment

Thanks all.
        If I can get thumbs up from a machine shop on block and head, I will probably go for Schrick cams on the build.
        I have two cranks, should I have both cranks assessed to see which is "best"?

Comment

Working...
        X