No announcement yet.

2nd e30, 87 Lachssilber Revival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things are progressing... slowly but at least they are progressing. Head should be done in a couple more weeks. Ive been trying to get in contact with Whodwho for a Megasquirt ECU. Besides that Im just saving up to get the last bits to put everything together.

From before with the e engine I figured my surging idle was a vacuum leak, well I never bothered to fix that. I also had a rattle from the exhaust system and knew that to be the bolts at the downpipe connection to the back of the system. Today gave me a nice opportunity to document the leak coming from that area... comes from the middle of the exhaust not out the muffler lol.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

The feels right now with a shipment from Bimmerheads scheduled to arrive on Friday...

Comment

Oh. Em. Gee.

Comment

Looks great!! Springs made a huge difference !!

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
            Oh. Em. Gee.

Damm... that would make great wall art!

Very nice stuff there.

Comment

Not much going on... parts slowly rolling in. Been enjoying the nice spring weather so heres a pic out crusing.

Monkton by nreichart12, on Flickr

Comment

Its done. I bought the last bunch of parts needed for the swap (I think). So Im planning on next weekend to do it. Hopefully Im not missing anything but if I am I still have the black late model sitting around I can yank parts off lol.

Comment

Sooo I tried painting my valve cover last night... key word tried. Not posting any pictures of it but let's just say I have a wrinkled type finish without using wrinkle paint. Ill take it back down and try again later.

Megasquirt arrived as well as just about all the other parts I need for the swap. Need one more confirmation and its on for this weekend, otherwise itll be next weekend I guess.

Comment

Getting set up with some before shots...

E Engine by nreichart12, on Flickr

E Engine 2 by nreichart12, on Flickr

Comment

Started tear down last night. Got some of the wires unhooked. Removed the hood and radiator too. Today should be productive, itll be sunny out but still a little cool (might get to 60). To say Im nervous about all this is an understatement lol. Im writing everything I do down to keep track of progress and I would like to do a write up after.

Todays goals are unbolt the driveshaft to transmission, remove ac connectors, make sure only thing engine is attached to in the bay are the mounts. Ill save actual engine removal for tomorrow. I need to start lining up all the parts to go on the new engine once it is in too so thatll be a smooth process.

And the workspace...

Hoodless by nreichart12, on Flickr

Comment

Ok I finally have a chance to update... Swap was not successful. At least not in the time frame I thought. Ooops beginner's mistake. So at this point my car is sitting out front my house engineless and the new engine is still not together fully. I thought it would have been a smoother process but I guess things are always bound to go wrong.

Removal took a little longer than expected. Got caught up on a stripped exhaust bolt that I spent too much time trying to remove. Ended up just putting the Sawzall to the exhaust. Besides that, just needed a bit of muscle to get everything undone.

Assembly of the engine is paused because the crank stroker oil sleeve ring (whatever you want to call it) will not fit on my crank. Ive tried torching it, boiling it, baking it and nothing will get it to slide on my crank. Unless Im totally missing something I just think it was machined a little too small. Im currently trying to find another one now.

Heres my workspace. Everything goes smoother when the tools are nicely laid out.
                        The Workspace by nreichart12, on Flickr

Doesn't look bad for how old it was...
                        Old Oil by nreichart12, on Flickr

Started pulling things out of the way. Removed intake boot, radiator, washer bottle. Eventually I pulled the ECU plug through the firewall and set it on top of the engine. That thing was tough to get out.
                        Radiator Out by nreichart12, on Flickr

Mid Atlantic weather has been nice to my car... Hood ground strap and Diff.
                        Hood Ground Strap by nreichart12, on Flickr
                        Diff by nreichart12, on Flickr

I had an exhaust leak for sure, thing rattled a lot too.
                        Exhaust Leak by nreichart12, on Flickr

Pulling the engine I forgot to unhook one thing. Hopefully it wasn't damaged.
                        Forgot to Unhook by nreichart12, on Flickr

Out you go...
                        Engine Birth by nreichart12, on Flickr
                        Engine Out by nreichart12, on Flickr

I thought about cleaning my engine bay but this was a struggle so Im over it. Probably going to leave it as is.
                        Empty by nreichart12, on Flickr

Another beginner's mistake, I wasn't sure how much or what areas to tape off. Did too much so Ill have uncovered and unpainted spots on my engine.
                        Engine Taped by nreichart12, on Flickr
                        Engine Painted by nreichart12, on Flickr
                        Engine Done by nreichart12, on Flickr

Upgraded injectors and how the new engine sits now. Right in the dinning room.
                        Injectors by nreichart12, on Flickr
                        Dining Room by nreichart12, on Flickr

And the car set up now... except this was pre engine pull. But that's how they look now minus the new block in front.
                        Home by nreichart12, on Flickr

Comment

Picture story....

Old Engine by Nick Reichart, on Flickr

Getrag by Nick Reichart, on Flickr

Black Pollen 2 by Nick Reichart, on Flickr

Flywheel On by Nick Reichart, on Flickr

Engine Out Front by Nick Reichart, on Flickr

Comment

Great stuff so far!
                            Keep it coming
                            '93 300TE 24V Krautbomber
                            '84 528e 5 speed Saphirblau Metallic [R.I.P.]

I love all BMWs with round headlights!

Comment

Nice! How do ur neighbors feel about doing work in the open like thst? I used to live in a condo complex and did smaller stuff, and had no issues...just curious
                              www.instagram.com/snwmble
                              #snwmble

Current:
                              '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                              '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                              '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                              '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                              '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                              '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                              '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                              '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
                                Nice! How do ur neighbors feel about doing work in the open like thst? I used to live in a condo complex and did smaller stuff, and had no issues...just curious
                                If anyone cares, they haven't said anything. Theres about 16 houses in my court and Ive had a handful of people come by to see how my progress is going. The lady that lives next to me was nice and started parking along the street to give me room to work around the car. My family has also been here for almost 20 years so I guess that works for me too.

Working on my lachs car is actually how I got around to buying the black one. One of my neighbors was going to send her car to the junkyard after having it in her family since new. She asked if I wanted any parts off it before it went, so I just went ahead and bought the whole car off her.

Comment

Working...
                                X