Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E vs I injectors

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and e30's so I'm seeking out as much help as I can get!

I have an 1986 325es

Recently purchased m20 rebulit injectors from catuned up in Sacramento, you can find them on their website at catuned.com. Finally got around to installing them into my car over the weekend and the ones I purchased from them I believe to have came out of an i car, they're the blue ones. When I took my injectors out of my car, I seen that the injectors were white. Didn't think much would be different cause they're both m20 engines. I installed the i injectors into my car yesterday and it seems to have a loss of mpg and power and acceleration thru gears 1-3, possibly over all gears. I read on a different forum that after about six trips with the car cooling down inbetween for the ecu to adapt to them. I have taken about three trips with the car cooling down. This car is my daily driver and I don't want to risk any more problems occuring with it. I am wondering if anyone knows if it's okay to have the i injectors in my e and what the difference is?

Also if my ecu doesn't adapt to the i injectors and cure this loss of power and mpg I'm wondering if someone knows where I can send my e injectors to get cleaned or possiby purchase brand new ones. Link me please! I found a couple sites but I don't want to go thru the process of installing them to find out I have a loss of power again!

Thanks!

E vs I injectors

E and I injectors are very different. The E injectors are a low impedance model. I'm surprised the I injectors work at all. You may have damaged your ECU or ignition system. Reinstall your E injectors and see if it cures your problem. If it does then start searching for a local injector cleaning company.
    Last edited by Paradox; 03-02-2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

you can put high impedance injectors into a low impedance system. it's the other way around that's a no-no.

that said, I injectors are a different size and have a different response time so they won't work correctly with the eta DME. you need eta injectors. the eta computer is about as dumb as they come (Motronic 1.0), adaptations are very limited. it's not going to "adapt" to a completely different injector.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I understand I wouldn't be able to put e injectors into an i car bc of the difference in high and low impedance, but my situation is the other way around. I put i injectors into an e car. I don't see how that would cause much or any damage to my car. If it any knows that it actually does please let me know! I just hate this loss of power, seems like it's taking forever to accelerate.

Nano, what does DME stand for?

And if anyone knows a good site for new e injectors please link me, rather put new ones in than get my old ones cleaned.

Comment

this is the link to the thread i found with someone saying in my words the ecu would "adapt" the difference in injectors
          They're different aren't they? I got a free set of E30 injectors, spent the money to have them professionally cleaned/flowed and now my car runs like crap. I thought I read on the interwebs that they were all the same but I'm obviously a doofus. Old injectors were black/gray, new inj

Comment

well, they are wrong. there's a big difference between a 19# low impedance injector and a 14# high impedence injector. and Motronic 1.0 has very limited adaptations.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

well, what would be your recommendations? and do you think having the i injectors is causing harm to my engine?

Comment

it's probably running lean. the solution is to use the proper injectors.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                X