Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help e30 full restoration

Hi,

I am new to the forum. I recently purchased a 1991 E30 Convertible. I am inquiring on the full restoration of the vehicle and which route I should go. First and foremost i would like to ask about body kits. I have been looking at the M Tech 2 body kit and I am having trouble locating a OEM.

1.I wanted to know if it is worth purchasing a replica kit (keep in mind full body work and paint will be done)? If so, what company would you suggest? If it is not worth looking into what suggestions do you have for a OEM bodykit that may be less trouble to come by that looks just as good?

2. The car comes factory with cardinal red interior. It is not in very good shape. Is there a place I can send it to to get restored, or should I purchase replacement seat covers?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Congrats on the purchase.

1. Body kits are personal preference. Buy whatever makes you happy. I searched for 18months for my front valence and spent more on shipping from the UK than I did on the valence itself. Worth it? Absolutely.

2. EBay has interior kits for ~$650. I have no experience with these kits. I will say, if you go custom, be ready to shell out thousands. DriveClean just did an episode about 'repairing' (replacing) front seat fabric. Most people suggest $1500 for front seats alone. I've also seen threads of people driving to TJ, Mex. to get their interiors done. I know you're in the north-east, so this isn't very helpful I'm sure. I actually intend to try my hand at it. I also happen to know someone who if very good with an industrial sewing machine, so I may just go that route. I'm nowhere near ready for that though. Either way, you have options. It'll just come down to how much you want to spend. Kinda like paint-jobs. You can drop $10k on a highly accredited shop or $2k and get 8/10ths the quality. You'll just have to decide what you want and how much you're willing to spend.

Comment

mtech2 isn't that rare, especially the convertible kit. I'd look for a used kit if you can't find a new one. as far as the replicas - I'd bet you end up spending more in body work costs making a replica kit fit properly than you would on finding an original one. And then you still have a replica.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
      X