Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picked up a Galaxy S5 to replace the iPhone 5, tips/tricks to get the most out of it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked up a Galaxy S5 to replace the iPhone 5, tips/tricks to get the most out of it?

Like the title states, any must have apps.

Is needing a "Task Killer" still a thing (haven't had an Android phone in a few years)

What do I need to know?
    Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Never used a task killer app, but if it like my s3 you can hold down the center/home button for a few seconds and everything that is running will pop up and you can close them.

I will be getting an s5 active soon.

Comment

Sorry that I can't help you with any info but I will be watching this thread. I just traded my iPhone 5 in for an S5 active. I'm still learning how to work it but I do like it better.
      sigpichttp://www.germanaudiospecialties.com/

1986 325es :early:

Comment

With my s3 I haven't done a single thing of that nature to it and it rarely hiccups or bogs down. With my previous android phones I always had to root them to get rid of the bloat ware and shit. But with jellybean (?) and kitkat it seems like most of that is built in to android already.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

i just got the s5 as well (s3 beforehand)....my only beef is that there isn't a settings button anymore, the left button brings up all the running apps no matter what you're doing. It definitely takes a little while to get used to.

But I'll be following this thread as well to get the most out of mine.
          1991 318is ---230K - DD
          1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
          so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

My only suggestion is to root it so you can uninstall any unwanted apps. Titanium Backup is a great app for removing apps, but requires root.

Comment

Ba-bump
              Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
              Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Not android specific, but my go to apps are Evernote, Genius Scan, and Dropbox...
                Instagram
                sigpic
                Current: 99 M3
                Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

I'd say that you should at least wait until you get a feel for it before you tinker, unless you're confident with that sort of thing (and you know what "bricking" your phone is, and how to fix it provided it's not a true "hard-brick").

That being said, task killers are not needed, and are actually a great way to waste battery life and slow down your phone's performance. I won't get into it, but basically the Android operating system has effective management of inactive applications. If you find an application that is sucking up excessive resources even while inactive, you can simply figure out how to get into your "recent apps" view and kill that specific application.

Once you are more familiar with Androids again, you can get into the really fun stuff that comes with root. Also, the Android automation stuff is pretty cool.
                  '86 325e

Comment

Agreed on task killers being useless. That's been the case for a while now (since Gingerbread?).

I recently picked up an S5 myself. My must-have apps are:

Amazon - the barcode scanner is nice when you're thinking about making that impulse buy
                    Mokriya Craigslist - the best of the several I've tried
                    Dropbox
                    Flipboard
                    Gas Buddy
                    (Google) Keep - sticky notes on steroids; accessible from any device
                    Key Ring - for all the loyalty/rewards program cards
                    Tapatalk
                    TuneIn (Pro)

Originally posted by jrobie79 View Post
                    my only beef is that there isn't a settings button anymore, the left button brings up all the running apps no matter what you're doing. It definitely takes a little while to get used to.
                    Long pressing the left button brings up the same flyout menu you'd get when selecting the three vertical dots (when they're available / in an app).
                    Originally posted by kronus
                    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I have an S5 also. I'll post some nifty tricks I was told by the Samsung rep in the Best Buy store when I picked mine up, but again, no, task killer is no longer needed.

Comment

I've been thinking about going to the S5 side. Currently on an iPhone 5. How do you all like it who have made the switch? I'm due for an upgrade this September.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
                          I've been thinking about going to the S5 side. Currently on an iPhone 5. How do you all like it who have made the switch? I'm due for an upgrade this September.
                          I was the opposite, kinda. Been android for a long time then picked up an iPad. Personally, I can't stand iOS. I don't like the lack of file management. With that being said, iOS definitely feels more refined than some builds of Android however, I think that's due to the suppression of certain user controls and features in iOS.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                          Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Just got mine as well., love the split screen and video viewer, all in the same screen. It's like a handheld computer.
                            @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

All I rock is Samsung phones..currently have the note 3..like it very much and I always root my phone's..get rid of all bloatware/apps I will never use..makes the phone faster and more responsive= better battery life :-)...fuck iPhones :-) the lack of slot for expanding memory and irreplaceable battery are the main reasons why I stay away..

Sent from my Samsung Note 3
                              '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
                              '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Working...
                              X