Minty-fresh Barn Find and Rebuild: 1986 325e Sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minty-fresh Barn Find and Rebuild: 1986 325e Sedan

The whole project started when i sold my E90 for a cheaper and easier car to work on and to prevent myself from needing student loans sooner than later.

Bye bye E90. The search for e30 begins....

I found one on craigslist and drove about two hours to scope it out. Needless to say, I was very impressed by first glance. (SCORE!)

What an interior!

The car had been in a shed about an hour southeast of Kansas City for what the owner said was the last 20 Years. The only transfer on the title was from his sister to him so it was basically a 1-owner vehicle. The title was being transferred from his sister who lived in NY to him so that it could be sold here in Missouri, so we couldnt take the car home that day but it wasn't an issue for me. The carfax checked out with 1 owner and one recent transfer.

I call bs on the 20-year story as the car had a 2002 inspection sticker and the odometer read 141k... but it was in a shed and looked pretty unmolested. It did act like it had been sitting there forever, so something was fishy, but other than a few issues needing attention it was in damn good shape so i gave him the benefit of the doubt. I went home and calculated what i knew it would need from looking at it:

The good
    - Brand new tires
    - The car starts
    - Gas can cleaned out (We later found out that this was NOT the case and it caused all sorts of problems..)
    - new battery
    - new Muffler (cough...story on this later)
    - New spark plugs in the trunk
    - Fresh oil (which diddnt matter because we were going to pull the engine apart and would have to change this a few more times anyways).

The Bad:
    - Major Idling Speed issue (spikes high and low and does not stay stable at 800rpm as it should)
    - Big dings and paint touch-up in a few places
    - Radio did not work as someone tried to take the factory one out and it did its anti-theft job of not working after that.
    - broken front bumper trim
    - needed engine reconditioning to get it running smoothly again after sitting for so long
    -Hood needed body shop work and paint (even though it looks good in photos...it isnt...more on this later)
    -Tiny hairline crack on passenger side of dash (as usual... :()
    -fog Lights are broken (probably for the same reason the bumper trim is broken off :???:)

The guy wanted $3500. I said No Way Jose and talked him down to $2500 which was still too much i thought. I figured what the heck since i just went from a $13,500 car to a $2500 car so we made an agreement that i would come back and get the car for $2,500 when the title came back in his name. I would later find out that given the car's needs, i DID overpay.

I bought this plastidipped beater for $1800 to get myself around in the meantime. It had an LSD and a upgraded stereo so it was a lot of fun to drive for a month. I ended up selling it for $2500. A nice little flip.

The seller of the black ETA called a few weeks later and we did business. Unfortunately we had a hard time getting it started again. We put in a new battery and headed to O'Reilly's who diagnosed a bad alternator (Dang!). We ordered a new alternator (seller absorbed the cost) and left the E30 in the parking lot until the part arrived. We went back up the next weekend and changed the alternator in the dark of night. Finally, she was running well enough to drive her back to my old man's garage to get started on the engine reconditioning.

On the way back home:

Finally, time to put some lipstick on this pig and blow the sickly gunk out her sinuses.

The build has begun.
    Last edited by blacktyevent; 03-18-2015, 03:24 PM.
    www.tycacek.com

Currently Driving:
    1986 325e- Custom Nebula Purple Dip, 5MT, Lukebox. A Perfect DD. ;)

Part II took two months as we pulled damn near everything north of the motor head out:

Gutted:

The things you find in a barn car...hello friend!:

My father working tirelessly on the engine bay. the credit for the mechanical side of this project goes to him 100%:

Progress so far: ive forgotten at least 1/2 of what we've done but here is what i can recall off the top of my head:
    - ALL gaskets, belts, hoses were replaced with new ones
    - New Alternator
    - New water pump
    - New Timing Belt + Tensioner +Bars
    - New temp sensor
    - New distributor cap
    - New Idle control unit
    - New Head Bolts
    - New Oil Cap
    - New Fuel Filter
    - Coolant Flushed
    - New Thermostat & thermostat housing
    - Power Steering Flush
    - Valves adjusted
    - New Crankshaft sensor
    - Replaced the throttle body with a working used part
    - Fuel injectors cleaned, painted, and rebuilt
    - Radiator flushed & cleaned
    - Oil Chainge (second oil change in 100 miles)
    - Wiring harness bracket removed, sanded, and repainted schwarz black
    - Intake manifold and valve cover gasket cleaned and painted.
    - Any engine bay rust was sanded down and painted schwarz black

All parts not being replaced were degreased and wiped down before reinstallation.

Final Engine Bay:
    Last edited by blacktyevent; 02-15-2015, 08:17 PM.
    www.tycacek.com

Currently Driving:

Comment

what part of missouri?

Comment

Nice progress! Your car and story seems a lot like my buddy's.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
        1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
        1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
        1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
        1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
        1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
        Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
        1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
        1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

The snot has been cleaned out of the engine and it's purring nicely, we can move on to the fun part: putting lipstick on this pig.

I started with a new rear emblem as the other one was cracking and the white sections had chipped to all silver:

I then moved on to the wheelcap emblems. I peeled the old ones off and found that they were glued on and were not like the replancement stickers BMW sells as their replacement parts. the glue is like gorilla glue x1,000 and pretty much was going to be on there for life without risking scratching the caps more by sanding it off. I took a fiberglass brush and scraped off what i could before roughing the surface of the hardened glue and prepping them for new stickers:

Ta-daaaa:

Replaced the broken front trim. I will need a new lens cover but can wait til later:

Interior lights upgraded to LED. They were ~45 cents each on amazon. I purchased a 10 pack and figured I'm set on led festoon bulbs for life of the car:

Cowl Grills were fugly. I replaced them:

I swapped the shift knob and illuminated window buttons with those from the late model 325i i was driving. I found another illuminated light switch and am waiting to pull another from the junkyard whenever i find one. More to come later on that amber light next to the cig lighter ;-) :

The car didn't come with floor mats. Lucky for me i got a custom set from my folks for Christmas:

Ebay cupholder door card inserts to hold me over until i can pull an E36 center console from the junkyard and custom fit it. I may line the insert part with carpet or foam to prevent rattling. rattling has not been an issue but it's better to be safe than sorry:

New keys from ebay came in. The car only came with a spare/valet key and didnt have the original ones with the led. after taking the photo I got these cut and they work just fine.

www.tycacek.com

Currently Driving:

Comment

Originally posted by ReSoP View Post
            what part of missouri?

Car was purchased in Warrensburg.

I reside in Columbia. How about you?
            www.tycacek.com

Currently Driving:

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
              Nice progress! Your car and story seems a lot like my buddy's.
              Thanks!
              www.tycacek.com

Currently Driving:

Comment

Planned upgrades of the non-mechanical type:

- Chrome windshield lock strips to replace the yellowed ones that have started letting a little moisture in.
                - fog lights
                - K-9 mundial-4 keyless entry + Alarm (just installed...pics later)
                - total replacement sound system (ordered)
                - Front seats to be redyed with leatherique products (ordered)
                - Body & paint
                - Drivers door lock rebuild (ordered and recieved)
                - Euro Smiley headlamps with HIDs (ordered)
                - Black interior handles & door bins
                - Map light rear view mirror
                - cracked heater trim replacement
                - New Circuit Breaker Switch (ordred)

I ordered a dash mat from bavauto and immediately returned it as it diddnt even cover the part of my dash that is cracked. Thankfully bavauto paid for the return label and all is kosher. Thinking of getting a coverlay/dash cap if my dash gets any worse in the next 2 years.

by all means, please pull up a chair
                Last edited by blacktyevent; 02-15-2015, 08:23 PM.
                www.tycacek.com

Currently Driving:

Comment

All of the pictures look really cool, and it's so clean.

Comment

Warning! Mechanical maintenance ahead (coming very soon!):

- Seafoam
                    - New Fuel Pump
                    - Tranny fluid flush
                    - New Bosch Spark Plugs
                    - New Catalytic converter and Exhaust pipes
                    - Brake cleaning & rebuild
                    - Brake Fluid Flush
                    - Odometer Fix
                    - Cruise Control Fix
                    Last edited by blacktyevent; 02-15-2015, 08:21 PM.
                    www.tycacek.com

Currently Driving:

Comment

This why my hood will be repainted. most of that is dust collected while we stored the hood during engine maintenance. however, the whole thing is COVERED in scratches. I suspect the hood was used to stack crap on top of while it was in the previous owner's shed. it also needs some hammering out in a few places:

www.tycacek.com

Currently Driving:

Comment

Originally posted by WarpedRotors View Post
                        All of the pictures look really cool, and it's so clean.
                        thanks man, by my standards these photos are crap. I'm a pro photographer and these are quick iphone snapshots. I promise to do a "pull-out-all-the-stops" professional-quality photoshoot when the car is totally finished. Hopefully that will give everyone something a little prettier to ooh and aah at ;D.
                        www.tycacek.com

Currently Driving:

Comment

Update:

Fuel pump died last week right after the car failed inspection for an exhaust leak. Since i can't drive it over to the custom muffler, I replaced the fuel pump under the back seat and still no start. We did some tests and put in a new fuel pump relay and STILL no start. additional diagnostics show that the inline fuel pump is shot too and that we most likely have a clogged fuel line. to correct this we've ordered:

Inline fuel pump
                          Fuel lines
                          Gas Tank
                          www.tycacek.com

Currently Driving:

Comment

Nice car! Schwarz body color with tan interior are one of my favorite combinations. ;)
                            BTW: I have the same cup holder. I did a brief write-up installing it near the e-brake. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=322748
                            Regards,
                            Victor
                            Rides...
                            E30 325i - 1990
                            F30 328i - 2014 (DD)
                            F25 X3 - 2016 (Family car)
                            1974 - 2002 (The ruler of the stable) SOLD

Comment

Hope you keep updating - great little project.

Shame about the paint!

Comment

Working...
                              X