No announcement yet.

Minty-fresh Barn Find and Rebuild: 1986 325e Sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK gang, long long time no update...I've moved twice (MO-->NE-->NC), gotten a second degree, loved and lost, traveled the world, and settled into a new profession since my last entry. I listed the car for for sale and the moment i got a cash offer declined it and took down my ads. I'm keeping her for life! here's a written picture of where i am now with this project:

Progress:
    - non-working windows got new motors and regulators. all 4 now work with ease!
    - Fresh engine oil and filter (oil change #2 in 10k miles of ownership)
    - Koni SRT (orange) Shocks installed
    - H&R Sport Springs (absolutely hate them..more on that later) installed
    - new front shock mounts and hardware
    - Rebuilt odometer gears
    - GAS "Lukebox" installed and it's the best thing that ever happened to my sound system.
    - A/C serviced and is now blowing cool air! (shoutout to my dad for the great graduation present)
    - cruise control fixed

Failures:
    - brand new rear shock mounts are completely busted... maybe due to excessively stiff suspension + cheap mounts? higher quality Meyle Heavy duty ones ordered 3/9/17 and im going back to the boaty, tall OEM springs ASAP.
    - spring/shock setup is far too aggressive following the koni/h&r "upgrade" afterwards. Seriously, i can feel the road paint in my spine when i change lanes... and i have PTSD from speed bumps... . im keeping the Koni shocks and returning the springs to OEM.
    - general and complete lack of progress on improving cosmetics and body work. I discovered a R front wheelwell rust patch that's gonna have to be repaired/reinforced sooner or later.
    -

The immediate pipeline:

- Radiator Fan Clutch replacement

- Drive Shaft replacement (i'm getting vibrations/flutter on accelerating)

- BavResto refurbishing of gauge cluster circuit board. Gas and Temp gauges not working and do not seem to respond to tightening rear cluster PDC nuts.

- SI board replacement w/ Programa batteryless SI board

- Crack-free Dashboard (purchased, on-hand, and ready for install)

coming soon:
    - Euro bumpers & Valances
    - Euro grills
    - map light mirror
    - Wood Nardi Steering wheel
    - GAS Amp Rack
    - scratch/dent free Hood
    - seat redye and repair

pics coming soon!
    www.tycacek.com

Currently Driving:
    1986 325e- Custom Nebula Purple Dip, 5MT, Lukebox. A Perfect DD. ;)

Comment

I have a woodgrain Nardi for sale if interested. Otherwise, great work. I'm glad I'm not the only one that had trouble getting the rear sway bar bushings on. When looking at the little hole that you have to slide over the sway, you think there's no way that it'll ever fit.
      1989 325i S50 swapped
      2007 4Runner Sport V8

Comment

Solid work getting that thing back into good shape! Euro bumpers will clean it up nicely :up:
        -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
        91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
        08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
        04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
        Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
        Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
          Solid work getting that thing back into good shape! Euro bumpers will clean it up nicely :up:
          Know where i can get anyclean euro bumpers? I got a call from an old man today who offered me a brand new front+rear bumpers+trim+valances set still new in the box for $400 usd shipped....but he wanted to use money gram and wouldn't accept a local pickup so i'm declining. im not willing to turn myself into a sucker.
          www.tycacek.com

Currently Driving:
          1986 325e- Custom Nebula Purple Dip, 5MT, Lukebox. A Perfect DD. ;)

Comment

Working...
          X