No announcement yet.

325ix s54 futzing and putzing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

probably ran into budget issues with the PO as well. I'm sure all that labor/fabrication wasn't cheap!

it's missing the snubbers that go between the oil pan and that small aluminum piece to the right, that bolts to the subframe. I'd put them back in - they prevent the engine from shifting forward during hard braking.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      probably ran into budget issues with the PO as well. I'm sure all that labor/fabrication wasn't cheap!
      Yeah, that's what I figured. I know there was a budget and that often translates into a few cut corners.

it's missing the snubbers that go between the oil pan and that small aluminum piece to the right, that bolts to the subframe. I'd put them back in - they prevent the engine from shifting forward during hard braking.
      Yeesh. Thanks, nando. Not sure how I ever would've known this otherwise. Those will go on my list of stuff to get.

Comment

In case you were curious, heres the build that jake posted here

Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Thanks 2mAn. I did actually read that thread along with similar threads on other forums before pulling the trigger. Mostly the same posts everywhere, and all were helpful/informative.

Comment

short shifter

The shifter was feeling kind of loose/vague, so I wanted to replace bushings and install a shorter throw shifter at the same time. Decided on a new OEM Z3 1.9 lever, shifter cup, rear carrier support/bushing, and selector rod coupling. Used Garagistic delrin front carrier bushings.

Got some inspiration from this posting by nando/chris325ix on e30tech and decided to fit a DSSR from UUC.

The selector rod for the iX is ~5mm longer than the "regular" E30, but UUC doesn't make one for the iX. Others have had the "regular" DSSR lengthened to accommodate. I went with the DSSR that UUC sells for the E36 which is 2mm longer (189mm vs 187mm) and hoped it would work without lengthening (all other dimensions are the same).

On the plus side, my new DSSR is machined differently from older versions so it needed very little grinding. Here's pic comparing the older version with a stock selector rod (the right side of the DSSR in this pic has been machined):

And here's the new version. You can see how the ends are completely different.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151013_153013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	7181087

Very little grinding required. Here's a side pic of the end before grinding:

Name:	IMG_20151025_133827.jpg
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	7181088

And here's a side pic after grinding:

Name:	IMG_20151025_133908.jpg
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	7181089

And another POV after grinding:

Name:	IMG_20151025_133958.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	7181090

Other than that, the only little wrinkle is that the plastic bushing built into the z3 shift lever is too wide to fit into the DSSR. You can kind of see in this pic how the lever won't fit into the DSSR.

Name:	IMG_20151025_135358.jpg
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	7181091

A flat file and a few minutes is all it took to remove enough of the plastic so that the bushing was flush with the metal. It fits very tight, but without binding. I also took a file to the selector rod coupling and removed a very very small amount of material so that the coupling fit very tightly into the DSSR but without binding.

When I took it all apart I found the bushing in the rear shift carrier support was shot and had to order a new one. Damn those things are pricey! And they were on national back order so it took about 3 weeks to get. Kind of slowed the project down, but gave me time to do other stuff (more in a later post).
            Last edited by monkey_boy; 11-23-2015, 03:11 PM.

Comment

short shifter, continued

After the grinding/filing, it was pretty much just putting everything back together. Here's a pic of all the old parts:

Name:	IMG_20151025_134833.jpg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	7181092

And all the new stuff before it went in:

Name:	IMG_20151025_134918.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	7181093

Learned a lot getting under there and tearing things apart. Took awhile to get the tcase in/out, but now after doing it once I figure it'll take about a quarter of the time next round. Although if I'm lucky there won't be a next round. :)

Comment

Cool! Did you have to clearance the shift carrier at all? I had to as I don't think I could get into 3rd or 5th if I remember correctly, the top of the DSSR was hitting it. But now that it is machined "flatter" than the one I have, maybe it's not an issue.

Good call on the E36 DSSR. I thought of doing something like that later but since I really didn't know if it would work at all, I just bought it and made it fit. 2mm shouldn't make much difference.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

You know, I didn't clearance anything with a file when I installed my DSSR. No issues. I did use the IE DSSR, but it looks the same.
                  AWD > RWD

Comment

We know what the car looks like, but you need pics of it in this thread!
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                      You know, I didn't clearance anything with a file when I installed my DSSR. No issues. I did use the IE DSSR, but it looks the same.
                      I think it's because of the flatter, non-rounded shape on the top and bottom. if I remember that's where it hit my shift carrier on the original DSSR.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

That's probably it. The new design looks similar to what you made.
                        AWD > RWD

Comment

No mods at all to the shift carrier itself. Pretty much just a bolt-in operation. Went really smooth and feels great.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            We know what the car looks like, but you need pics of it in this thread!
                            I know, I know.... working on it!

Comment

interior

So while I was waiting for the rear shift carrier support to show up I got into the interior a bit. It was swapped from tan to black and was serviceable as expected, but came across a few things I'd like to change:

Both front seats were passenger side seats. Not a huge deal really, but it was just kind of eating at me. Got a tan driver-side seat and planning to recover both.

The rear seat bottom doesn't fit. It has a spring bottom, not foam, which I understand is from the earlier E30s. It just sort of sits in place, unattached, and jiggles loose over time. I got a proper foam seat that fits from a local member.

Found some moisture under the front driver side carpet - guess it must be coolant. The foam under there was pretty wet and I couldn't let that go. Carpet was OK but not great, so... got a new OEM carpet.

After the carpet showed up I wanted to replace it "the right way" and not cut around the heater core. So, started ripping things out. Here's where it sits right now:

Name:	IMG_20151121_130918.jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	7181209

Name:	IMG_20151121_130946.jpg
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	7181210

Name:	IMG_20151121_130844.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	7181211

All to get out this little piece of carpet:

Name:	IMG_20151121_131034.jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	7181212
                              Last edited by monkey_boy; 12-02-2015, 11:07 AM.

Comment

door cards

I did make some progress, though. The door cards were missing some clips and the vinyl had separated off the back in several places. Clips have been replaced and vinyl reattached, so those are looking good.

Comment

Working...
                                X