Another M-Tech 1 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another M-Tech 1 Build

Picked up a cheap two door 323i as a base for this project. Slick top and pop out rear windows and manual transmission made it the perfect start for a long term build.

Car was purchased interstate, sight unseen but when it arrived it was in great shape.

Im in australia so everything here is generally euro spec - bumpers, grilles etc.

Very close to mine. Looks like it's in good shape.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Interior

First thing i did was install an immaculate uberkaro anthracite sport interior which i sourced from New Zealand while i was on holiday and brought it back as luggage to Australia.

Next was replace the cracked dash with a clean one and sourced a new mtech emblem for the shifter knob.

Comment

Wheels

Picked up a very expensive set of original BBS RS003 which are factory optioned 16 inch BBS wheels. Holy grail of E30 weaves.

Here they are when i first picked them up. Two inner barrels had repair welds done to some cracks which i wasnt impressed with. 16x7 +25

A few months of collecting parts from felgen fuchs in germany, raw works in australia, some random guy in poland and another stranger in new zealand. I had the centres blasted, replaced the two damaged inner barrels, replaced all the lips, all the bolts, all the emblems and all the hexes. Only thing i really kept were the 4 centres, waffles and two inner barrels. Gave everything a lick of paint - champagne metallic.

Final specs are:
        4x100
        57.1mm centre bore
        16 x 7.5 +19
        16 x 8.5 +7

Comment

Body kit

On the same trip to New Zealand i also sourced a full Mtech 1 kit. Packed it all up in our 5 star hotel which my girlfriend wasnt impressed with and left it with the concierge in their baggage store area and enjoyed the rest of my holiday.

Pics or it didnt happen right? Wouldnt hesitate to do it again, it all gets checked as luggage and is manually handled as opposed to on the conveyor belt as it is "oversized" baggage. Doesnt cost you anything extra.

First thing i did when i got back was test fit with the help of some tape.

Comment

Paint

Had it all colour matched including the side mirrors.
            Last edited by RobertE30; 12-16-2016, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Nice start, NZ some where I haven't been, it's on my list.
              https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Sure do like the M Tech I style. Glad to see it all made the trip intact.

Comment

Tyres fitted

Comment

All together

Spent a whole day putting everything together.

Comment

That was fast! Very interesting to read about checking the kit in on the plane. That's the first I have heard of that. Did you drill the holes in the door sills for the side skirts?
                      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Working...
                      X