How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great write-up.

Wish there was more info for the swap on air-bagged cars, though.

To those who have done the rack swap, would you guys say it is worth the time and money?

Comment

Originally posted by nottoocleanbmw
      Great write-up.

To those who have done the rack swap, would you guys say it is worth the time and money?
      Haven't driven with it, but I already know my answer is yes. lol

Course...my engine is out, so...it'd be stupid not to. :P
      - Sean Hayes

Comment

Air bag cars.

Great write-up.

Air bag cars are even less trouble. Search the forums for the firewall mod. It bolts in using the coupler on the car. No modification necessary.
        It's an improvement in steering response and the lowest cost if you need a rack. WOW an E30 mod that costs less than replacing the OEM part.

Comment

I drove Ritalin Kid's car before and after, and I think it is worth it. It turns better, and if you have a leaky rack anyway, why not???
          Originally posted by KingB
          Scratch my back and I buy a prostitute for you, to rub your balls. HAHA now thats some funny shit.

Comment

Thanks for the write-up man.

Comment

Do you need any e36 power steering lines if you put the rack in an airbag car? Just got my '95 M3 rack plus all new tie rods, control arms, bushings, and I'm finally installing my GC/Koni setup in the 318is. Should be a big improvement.
              '91 318is
              sigpic

Comment

I would think that you will need the E36 high pressure line BUT I noticed when I was putting my rack in was that the old line was just as easy to have been adapted to the rack, maybe even easier.

I went with the E36 HP line because my E30 line was very old and I had already went through the trouble to purchase E36 HP line.

Comment

I really think no power steering is the way to go. at least try it out first

Comment

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. (that the E30 line woulda been easier to modify). I did quite a bit of bending to the E36 line. But, I got it working.

But, since my P/S pump blew, I'm running without powersteering. I'm actually really beginning to enjoy it! It's a bitch at a stop, but when moving, I love having to actually GIVE the car input - it's great!

Love the rack. I don't think it's the 2.7 like I had hoped though. What's your guys turns lock to lock at the steering wheel? I turned my rack alone, and it was pretty much 2.7 - but now it's more like 3.

Still good though! :D
                    - Sean Hayes

Comment

I believe there is a manual rack you can swap into the E30 that was available in Europe in the 323i. If you dig around realoem.com enough I'm sure you could dig up the part # and have BMA Parts order one for you.

Comment

yeah you can do that if you want a longer steering ratio

Comment

BTW.. what is the manual rack steering ratio?

Comment

more then the stock rack..like 4.5 turns

Comment

So, in retrospect, you would have bought the E30 HP line?
                              Also, I don't need to replace the ends of the low pressure lines, do I? Just buy some new hose, right?
                              Slicktop City!

Comment

Originally posted by ldsbeaker
                                So, in retrospect, you would have bought the E30 HP line?
                                Also, I don't need to replace the ends of the low pressure lines, do I? Just buy some new hose, right?
                                Yeah.. I would have probably used an E30 HP line and you do not have to replace the LP line ends. just clean them up and get some new hose.

Comment

Working...
                                X