Driveline Possibly Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveline Possibly Out?

I noticed today that when i'm in low speeds, or taking off from a standstill, you can hear a thumping sound coming from below the car. All of the gears shift smoothly. I can't hear it above 25 miles per hour, maybe because its too loud outside? Anyways, has anyone encountered this type of thing? What was it? Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.
    sigpic

Car: 1988 325is, 5 speed swapped from a donor car.
    sigpic

Comment

Can you feel it at all? mid car, rear, front?
      '86 325es M50

Comment

Could be many things like a center bearing going out, u joints, axles, worn diff. Hard to tell without actually being there. Maybe you should have a shop look at it before something happens. I went to a meet 30 miles away from home when my center support bearing broke. I knew it was going out but I didn't think it would break on me (I was taking it easy). Needless to say, I didn't make the meet and it was not the way to spend a friday night.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

With the "thumping sound" my money is on the CSB...

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

Sounds exactly like the symptoms I had when the CSB went bad. Replace the guibo at the same time.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
            i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
            Originally posted by slammin.e28
            Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

A thumping from under the car in the lowest gears that gets worse when accelerating briskly will usually be from a failed center support bearing. And failure of the center support bearing will almost always be caused by binding u-joints in the drive shaft.Meaning that the only long term fix is to replace both the CSB and the drive shaft.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

So I replaced the driveline and CSB. Noise still there. I think it may be a noisy throw out bearing or tranny.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brutus87 View Post
                  So I replaced the driveline and CSB. Noise still there. I think it may be a noisy throw out bearing or tranny.
                  Stock tranny mounts?

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

No, they're new. I replaced the oil on the tranny, it had barely anything. Im thinking the tranny is fried because of that :(
                    sigpic

Comment

Is this common?

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                      A thumping from under the car in the lowest gears that gets worse when accelerating briskly will usually be from a failed center support bearing. And failure of the center support bearing will almost always be caused by binding u-joints in the drive shaft.Meaning that the only long term fix is to replace both the CSB and the drive shaft.
                      sigpic
                      Instagram: @DrLeadFoot

Comment

Whats common?
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X