Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e36 m62 non vanos , low power from 3rd gear

Hallo Everyone , sorry for my english.

I have E36 with swaped M62 non vanos using m54 330i tranny with gearbox adapter, CPS sensor is relocated to the front on M60 cover with M60 pulley using M62 CPS , car works , start , no misfire on idlle , no problem with the rpms when car is stay , on 1 and 2 gear no problem with power , rev limiter is around 6200 ( i dont have tacho , only see on diagnostic ) on 3 rd to the 4000-4500 rpm have low power , like you towing 1ton , after 4500rpm kick and car go excelent , diagnostic write about misfire recognition catalyst damage sum defect and misfire recognition catalyst damaged cylinder 5,4,7 and misfire recognition sum defect , this errors throw on 3rd gear , on 1-2 or idlle no errors

on inpa smoothnes is on 1 a 2 cylinder over the 1000 , but with these cylinders is not a problem

complete intake is reseal
    we try new MAF , CPS is new original BMW, try other coils , new spark plugs NGK , new end of coils , O2 sensors , try other injectors , we chceck timing everything ok , we try compresion test and have 11-12 bar , fuel pump is new bosch e36 325i ( original is car 325i )

on the last try have 1 more error phase sensor ....

i dont now what now .... please help thanks
    Attached Files

So you're using the OBD-II DME, but you've relocated the CPS to the crank pulley?

Is that possible? I thought the reason BMW moved the CPS to the flywheel is that in order to detect misfire-per-cylinder (which OBD-II required) there can't be a rubber isolator between the crank and the trigger wheel, like there is on the front pulley/vibration dampener.

Are you sure the CPS signal isn't being 'dampened' and throwing the misfire detection off?
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
      So you're using the OBD-II DME, but you've relocated the CPS to the crank pulley?

Is that possible? I thought the reason BMW moved the CPS to the flywheel is that in order to detect misfire-per-cylinder (which OBD-II required) there can't be a rubber isolator between the crank and the trigger wheel, like there is on the front pulley/vibration dampener.

Are you sure the CPS signal isn't being 'dampened' and throwing the misfire detection off?
      Im not 100% sure, but lot of peoples says it works .... m60 pulley have 58 tooths , m62 ring have 58 tooths too .... if will problem with thiss stuff, misfires will be on every gear included idlle or not ?

today i try some test , 1 and 2 gear no problem , 3rd gear dont do it every times , it do it 6 times from 10 ...

Comment

Originally posted by dkoubic View Post
        Im not 100% sure, but lot of peoples says it works .... m60 pulley have 58 tooths , m62 ring have 58 tooths too .... if will problem with thiss stuff, misfires will be on every gear included idlle or not ?

today i try some test , 1 and 2 gear no problem , 3rd gear dont do it every times , it do it 6 times from 10 ...
        Right, but there is a rubber isolator between the pulse wheel and the actual crankshaft. That is why BMW relocated it to the flywheel for OBD-II. The regulations required cylinder-by-cylinder misfire detection, and the rubber isolator on the pulley dampens the trigger wheel too much to accurately measure that. The CPS picks up speed changes in each quarter of a revolution with OBD-II, and a rubber isolator will buffer those changes, so the DME wouldn't be reading the signal it's expecting.

Not saying that's your problem, just something to think about.

What about 4th, 5th, 6th gear? Is it only when full throttle? Partial?

With the CPS being 'custom mounted', really opens up a lot of possibilities for error as well. What about the location, is the gap from the CPS to the trigger wheel what it should be?

What about fuel pressure? I'd hook up a gauge in-line and make sure it's not dropping.

Comment

Check out pages 3, 14, and 15. It talks about what I mentioned above, and states that fuel injection is cut on those cylinders that misfire is detected on.

The reason I'm hung on that, is because you have misfire codes.

Comment

Working...
          X