Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'89 325i G260 in a '87 325 - Reference Sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'89 325i G260 in a '87 325 - Reference Sensor?

Hi,

I have an '89 parts car that I'd like to use to do a 5 speed swap on my '87 eta. I've read conflicting info regarding whether or not my i g260 will fit on my late model eta m20... something about reference sensors. I know the e trans will work on the i motor, but not sure about the other way around. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

You won't be able to use that transmission on your 87 as it won't have the the mounting holes for the bell housing mounted timing reference sensors.

But there is a way. If the head on your 89 is good, you can make "budget stoker" out of the engine in your 87, which will move the timing sensors into the engine bay and allow the use of the 89's transmission.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I thought about going the stroker route, but it would be pretty useless as I have the eta block and pistons, not the super eta. Almost makes more sense to drop in the 325i as a whole unit in this scenario.

Looks like I'm going M50 - I already have the transmission, driveshaft, flywheel, radiator, etc.

Comment

Working...
      X