Buying an out-of-state car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying an out-of-state car

I am going to buy an E30 in California...my question is, how? Anyone know how I can get insurance on it for the drive back? My state wont do it without a title (as far as I know), but I'm not sure on California. Anyone have any experience?

When you buy a car in CO you are covered automatically for a time period... according to the guy who sold me my 5.

My recommendation, call the insurance company and add the car to the policy when you get there to pick it up.

Have you paid for the car yet?
    '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

usually if you give your insurance company the vin # and a few basics about the car then they will issue a insurance id for it . I've had mine faxed to me the same day because in Maine you can't register a car without ins.

Comment

As far as I know, you ought to be able to insure the car before you title it in your name and register it. Being the most motor vehicle bureaus require proof of insurance before registering the vehicle, the insurance company should be able to accomodate you. It does not make sense to stand in line for 4 hours at the DMV so that you can title it in your name just so you can go to the insurance company and then back to the DMV again.

Comment

Mass has funny rules like VA. They are both commonwealth states and I have read numerous folks from Mass having issues with getting plates to drive a car home.

The no temp tag causes big issues.

Comment

call your insurance provider. they are smarter than any of us.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X