M20B28 "best" recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20B28 "best" recipe?

Having the need to change the piston rings on my m20b25 I decided I could go and make some more power out of it aswell.
    So far I have seen this:
    1) M51D25 Crank
    M20B20 rods
    2) M52B28 Crank
    M20B20 rods
    3) M52B28 Crank
    M54B30 rods and pistons

The 1. option seem to be the cheapest to me but I have to ask what are the benefits from the other 2 options?

I have the head already rebuilt some months ago with m20b20 camshaft in it and for DD its a bit better than b25 camshaft. But is it really worth it to make it a 2.8 stroker with stock camshaft? For me a new camshaft is too expensive really but I might be able to get used WAR chip for a pretty good price to go with it.

1) isnt a 84mm stroke it is 82.8mm so you lose some stroke, also what pistons?
    2) is proven with m20b25 pistons
    3) is non ideal style of pistons for the engine

a slighty bigger camshaft will work better, but stock will be better for daily driving limiting the topend power though
    Last edited by digger; 05-15-2017, 04:07 PM. Reason: typo
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I agree with Digger. m52b28 crank, m20b27 rods, m20b25 pistons and shave ~.25mm off the block. To get back to stock height you would want to shave .5mm off, but then if your head has been shaved too much you run the risk of piston to head contact - I found best bet is .25mm, with a couple of shaves on the head, there's still plenty of room.

Don't use flat pistons with the 885 head. Kills your power. If you really want to use m54 pistons, find a 731 head.
      Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 04-15-2019, 05:30 AM.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

IMO,

if new cam is out of your budget, stroking b25 is not for you. To do a proper built, machine work alone will cost you some cash, plus all other little things...it adds up fast. Unless you have free access to the machine shop, new custom pistons is a better option from the financial point of view IMHO.
        Last edited by zaq123; 05-16-2017, 02:30 AM.

Comment

forcedfirebird

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
          I agree with Digger. m52b28 crank, m20b25 rods, m20b25 pistons and shave ~.25mm off the block. To get back to stock height you would want to shave .5mm off, but then if your head has been shaved too much you run the risk of piston to head contact - I found best bet is .25mm, with a couple of shaves on the head, there's still plenty of room.

Don't use flat pistons with the 885 head. Kills your power. If you really want to use m54 pistons, find a 731 head.
          post is very old but is there any reason you are missguiding people by mentioning m20b25 rods to go with 84mm crank and i pistons:hitler:potstir

Comment

Just a typo
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by zoran View Post
              post is very old but is there any reason you are missguiding people by mentioning m20b25 rods to go with 84mm crank and i pistons:hitler:potstir

Great first post...

Originally posted by digger View Post
              Just a typo

Yes, typo. Went back and edited it.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

Great first post...

Yes, typo. Went back and edited it.

Maybe he was following the advise, purchased 135mm rods, assembled everything and learned the hard way? Got pissed hence his first post ?
                That would suck...

I would hope someone would do a little bit more research but you never know:coolphoto:

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
                  Maybe he was following the advise, purchased 135mm rods, assembled everything and learned the hard way? Got pissed hence his first post ?
                  That would suck...

I would hope someone would do a little bit more research but you never know:coolphoto:

Perhaps, but doubtful one post in one thread with all the replies I have made about strokers?....

There's even a sticky...

Just odd that their first post is to call out a typo.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

forcedfirebird

Perhaps, but doubtful one post in one thread with all the replies I have made about strokers?....

it is ok no need to get upsett,as long as you willing to help people no one has a right say it heas been writen with a purpose.

There's even a sticky...

Just odd that their first post is to call out a typo.

Comment

Working...
                    X