Trying to identify idle issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to identify idle issue

Hello all, I have been trying to track down my idle issue for a while now and I have had limited success. I was hoping to get some assistance from people who know much more than I do. My car is a 1987 325e.

First off, when the car is started, it surges to 2-3k RPMs. Then, it will settle at about 900-1100 rpm. It idles slightly higher when warm. The idle will usually vary up and down by about 100 rpms, and it is more stable when cold. Turning on the air conditioner makes it more unstable. Usually, when letting off the throttle when the engine is warm, the idle sinks to 1000 and then jumps up to about 1500 before settling back down.

Now, let me talk about my troubleshooting so far. First, I checked for operation of the ICV when the ignition is turned on. It does not buzz when the ignition is on, and the valve does not move. This should mean that the idle control system is not working due to a bad idle control module or bad valve. I then try starting the car with the electrical connector disconnected from the valve. Given that it seems to not be working at all, this should not have an effect on idle behavior. However, when the car is started like this, it starts up and surges to 2000 and then keeps going. The rpms keep rising, and then I shut the engine off so it will not keep going. After about 10 seconds, it had reached nearly 4000 rpms. This is very strange behavior and I really don't understand how removing the valve's electrical connection would cause this.

I then looked at the inputs to the ICM. As per the tests in the Bentley manual, the inputs all seemed normal. The ICM is a rebuilt unit from ProgRama. The throttle position switch was working correctly.

It seems like at this point the fault could either be with a bad control module or a bad valve. What I don't understand is how disconnecting the ICV could cause the engine to surge uncontrollably. The default position of the valve is fully open, and when the electrical connection is applied, the only effect it has is closing the valve to adjust the idle speed. The system is non-functioning, but somehow disconnecting it is causing even stranger behavior. I have read a lot on the way the idle system works in eta cars, but I'm still stumped. Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

honestly ur server sux
    just get a new car u stinker
    #superiorservers.co :hitler::hitler::hitler::hitler::hitler::hitler:

Comment

I will tell you what I've been working through but I dunno how much it will help.

I have a idle that is too low when hot and stalling problems when I stop for a light/stop sign. The engine idles smoothly and normally when cold or when I slow to a stop very gently. Also, when hot it is hard to start and won't idle without working the throttle a bit.

So, I've installed new O2 sensor, confirmed tps signal, confirmed icv signal, new afm, fuel pressure, and of course intake/vacuum leaks.

My idle will run free to high rpms when I unplug the icv so I'm seeing the same as you, out of control engine without the icv plugged in even though the tps is working. I think Bentley states that idle should rise to 2000 and hold with an unplugged icv, so I'm confused on this too.

My idle is actually stable and correct with no stalling or low idle or hot start issues when I unplug the tps switch. So, in my case, unplugged tps and plugged in icv gives me great results. I'm trying to figure out if this sequence of events helps to diagnose what my root issue is but no luck so far.

Try turning the ignition on but don't start the engine, then hold the icv in your hand and plug in the icv, you should feel and hear a click and maybe see the internal valve move.
      My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
      I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Working...
      X