24v Turbo ZF Clutch recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24v Turbo ZF Clutch recommendations

I am in the process of a s50 turbo build, I only plan on running 8psi initially just to get my feet wet haha. I am going to need an aftermarket clutch I was looking for a few recommendations. I am running a zf for trans, price range is 600$ looking to hold around 400ftlbs I have heard a few good things about south bend clutches, UUC clutches and m5 clutch for a mild build and some iffy reviews on ebay clutches such as xtr/fx. on a turbo car should i keep the dual mass flywheel due to it helping to put more of a load on the motor? maybe help build boost more efficiently? any suggestions would be great even if its out of my price range and you think its worth it to throw some extra dollars at it. Thanks

I can only say what I've heard but I've heard that south bend makes good stuff. My buddy has one in his 5.9 cummins and beats on it daily and it takes it no problem.
    -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
    08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
    318iS, slow build/garage queen...
    '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
    Originally posted by roguetoaster
    Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

I was also looking into clutch net stage 3 and stage 4 has anyone had any experience with these? they seem to be right around my price range and from what i read they are better than ebay quality and seem to hold up longer. I do like the ebay kit as they include the flywheel but i could use my stock unit and get it resurfaced if i went with the clutch net route

Comment

I bought the FX stage 3 CrMo flywheel/clutch/PP setup a while back for my 24v swap.

After reading about UUC's "Blue flywheel of death" issue, I figured that the ebay stuff couldn't be any better, so I had it checked out and balanced to the PP by my machine shop. They barely touched it to zero it with the flywheel, so I'm pretty impressed.

The clutch disc is the generic 6-puck sprung hub disc that seems to be used in most kits out there, and the PP is a Sachs M3 unit, so I doubt I'll have issues there.

The throw out bearing in the kit has a bad reputation, and looked/felt really cheap, so I bought a new OEM one which looks and feels way better. I also don't plan to use the pilot bearing in the kit.
        Last edited by Northern; 03-21-2017, 01:02 PM.
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Friend had a FX stage 4 in his turbo 95 m3, Im going with the stage 3 kit for my e30 s50 turbo

Comment

I am also curious as to what people are running/recommending with a boosted 24v. I am also running s52/zf trans, only difference is I have an aluminum flywheel already. I am not opposed to getting a flywheel/clutch combo as I could sell the one in the car but of course I would like to keep the cost down.
            1989 325i Alpine s52 coupe
            2003 540i M-Sport 6 speed
            2003 X5 3.0

Comment

i think im going to go with the fx stg 3

Comment

I have the uuc flywheel, f1 stage 4 unsprung clutch and installed the TOB that came with it and have had no issues at all, works every time I floor it and also did 9 passes at the track.
                sigpic
                HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
                " enjoy the show "

Comment

Originally posted by hyperE30 View Post
                  I have the uuc flywheel, f1 stage 4 unsprung clutch and installed the TOB that came with it and have had no issues at all, works every time I floor it and also did 9 passes at the track.
                  what tires are you using for traction?

Comment

I'm currently running 215/40/17's bfg kdw's, will be getting some 235's this summer, not much traction when cold but once warm they hook pretty nice even that's not all the time tough. Lol
                    sigpic
                    HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
                    " enjoy the show "

Comment

fx stage 4 on my turbo m50. Haven't had any problems yet! Lots of hard launches with drag radials, no slipping!!

Comment

Originally posted by MacBudd541 View Post
                        I am also curious as to what people are running/recommending with a boosted 24v. I am also running s52/zf trans, only difference is I have an aluminum flywheel already. I am not opposed to getting a flywheel/clutch combo as I could sell the one in the car but of course I would like to keep the cost down.
                        I'd probably grab a Sachs 792(I think this is the right one for the E36 M3 flywheel, and should be able to hold similar to the Sachs 765 + M5 flywheel)

Pair it with one of the sprung hub 240mm clutch disc like This or an unsprung E36 version of it if you're into the no-sprung-clutch thing.

If I ever slip with my FX Stg 3 setup(which uses a regular M3 Sachs PP,) that's my plan. Definitely double check that it's actually the 792 PP that fits your flywheel, and check/hope the e34 disc fits without interfering with anything before you take my word for it though.
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

i ended up order a xtr stage 3, i installed it last weekend i will post a review in a week or 2 only issue i had was they provided 2 pilot bearings and i initially installed the wrong one and couldn't get the tras bolted up so i removed it put the correct one in and everything went together just fine the pressure plate had sachs stamped into it and i also ditched the throw out bearing provided with the kit and used a sachs one, the sachs tob was about a 1/4inch shorter than the one provided with the kit i dont think it will cause any issues but the clutch seems to let out high

Comment

24v turbo ZF clutch

I just wanted to post an update about the fx stage 3- i have put a few hundred miles on it so far, it will chatter a little going in to first gear but your can finess around it, pedal feel is firmer than stock but not by much it grabs a little higher than the stock clutch but feels great not too high not too low. I am going to be boosted in a few weeks, i will review once i have put some power thru it to see how it feels, but soo far im very happy with it

Comment

Thank you for keeping us updated, curious on the next update with double the power!
                              1989 325i Alpine s52 coupe
                              2003 540i M-Sport 6 speed
                              2003 X5 3.0

Comment

Working...
                              X