Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E30. M60. California Smog Legal / BAR'd.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30. M60. California Smog Legal / BAR'd.

Hey everyone,

This has been a long time coming now we are finally ready to put up our build.

Before we begin I’d like to say thank you to everyone on in the V8 area, Without you this would have probably not happened.

This project has been over the course of about a year and half. So if we forget to mention something just ask!

Here is what we started with, It is a completely stock 1986 325 - daily driver for 8yrs.

And here is the (kinda) finished product, a California smog/BAR certified BMW 340E

And the cal legal smog sticker!!

The overview parts list (again if we forgot anything , ask)
    Drive train:
    M60
    zf 310 5speed
    e36 m3 drive shaft (4bolt)
    3:15 lsd
    TTV flywheel
    Clutchmasters e36 m3 stage 1 clutch and pressure plate

Suspension:
    Ground control coil over kit with koni’s
    Bimmerworld spec e30 swaybar set,.

Electrics /Harness Adapter:
    DIY used info from sticky M60 X20-C101 Harness Adapter
    Frank M booklet
    Wedophones
    Garaistic tach signal dbler
    Add check engine light

Exhaust:
    ‘Modified’ M60 headers
    Exhaust wrapped
    Walker Calif legal cats / magnaflow muffler

Brakes:
    Wilwood pedals and master cylinders (brakes 5/8 and ¾ for clutch) with Garagistic bracket
    Wilwood remote Bias adjuster and Wilwood proportioning value (for rear brakes)
    E30 M3 rear brakes
    E36 328i brakes Spindle/hub sleeves.brackets thanks to R3v member Max399

Cooling:
    Mishimoto M Z3 radiator
    Spal pusher fan
    Rear waterpipe between cyl heads from M6211531702201 no welding required

Steering:
    E36 non m rack
    Flaming River U joints with steel D shaft
    Lowered top rack mounts on subframe for pan clearance

Wheels/Tires:
    Rolled fenders
    BMW E34 style 5 16x8 square
    Toyo Proxies R1R 225/45/16

This is some stuff we did that is a little different.

Garagistic engine arms (without subframe spacers)
    Arms required modification since Armangle was not parallel to eng. Mounts are Condor solid eng mounts for S52/E30 .

Before:

After:

Adjusted ready to be wielded

Oil Pan Mod:

We Increased pan clearance by lowing the top mounts for the steering rack. Which eliminated the need for spacers for using an e36 rack (win win.)

Brake pedal install:

We ended up making a bracket for the reservoirs. It uses the mounting holes for the stock brake booster.

Thank you guys again for all your help!!

PS. There is more to come!!
    My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Awesome! The oil pan looks great, and that BAR sticker looks sweet with the 4L designation! I'm on the east coast so I don't know anything about that stuff haha.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
      Awesome! The oil pan looks great, and that BAR sticker looks sweet with the 4L designation! I'm on the east coast so I don't know anything about that stuff haha.

Thanks JGood, your info has helped out a lot with this!

In the most basic terms having that sticker is the only way to get a swapped car registered in CA legally. There are a couple loop holes, and they don't always work, I did not want to deal with that.

As far as I can figure out, this is the only BAR'd m60? If some else has gotten it done I would love to compare builds.

Getting It BAR'd was a b**ch But we learned some interesting things.

You have to pass three different Section of the Inspection to get it done:

1 is the visional inspection for all smog legal equipment Which means everything from the MAF to the cat's have to be CA legal for the M60 (you can't run the x5 headers.)

2 is you can not have any check codes which includes, The famous Can-Bus code, We got around that with a using Manual DME from a 1995 with EWS. it is a 484 (I think.) Which DUDMD installed a emulator to allow the car to run with out EWS. NO CODES. the car actually seems to run better with this DME.

3. Just pass the smog test.
      My CA legal M60 swap

Comment

Oh, you were the one who posted about the canbus code... So that's what you ended up doing then. I was curious about that.

Here's a question: If you're cruising along, in gear, and leave off the throttle, allow it to start engine braking and decelerating, then try to get back on the throttle, do you get a loud crack/pop from the exhaust, and a slight hesitation? Mine does that every single time, and I figure it has to be tune related. But it does it with the stock chip and my Mark D chip. Also did it with my DUDMD chip, but I had to return that because my car would shut off every time it dropped to idle with his tune, for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by 36brua View Post
          And the cal legal smog sticker!!

^^^^ That right there is awesome! ^^^^ Nice work with the entire project and sharing with the R3V community.
          Rides...
          1991 325i - sold :(
          2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Oh, you were the one who posted about the canbus code... So that's what you ended up doing then. I was curious about that.

Here's a question: If you're cruising along, in gear, and leave off the throttle, allow it to start engine braking and decelerating, then try to get back on the throttle, do you get a loud crack/pop from the exhaust, and a slight hesitation? Mine does that every single time, and I figure it has to be tune related. But it does it with the stock chip and my Mark D chip. Also did it with my DUDMD chip, but I had to return that because my car would shut off every time it dropped to idle with his tune, for some reason.

To answer your question and follow up to my post

error code 210 CAN-bus http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=361123

Does CANBUS code affect performance ? I don’t know
            My main goal was for Calif. Certification. No codes can be present. ie CEL, CANBUS, whatever - when referee scans DME.

I’ve only had pop/crack on decel. off throttle rpm >2300-2000. Little if any hesitation on accel . steady idle at 650 + with various DME’s
            Eng/ harness from 94 540 AUTO Bosch ‘404’ auto DME.

1. Removed majority of auto wiring from harness.
            Got car on the road and had pop/crack, hanging rpm to idle as mentioned
            CANBUS ERROR CODE.

Temporarily rewired AUTO control module to harness ( 5 or 6 wires) NO CANBUS CODE still had decel /idle issues. plus ya want that thing in your car ??

2. Purch/installed 540 MANUAL chip from DUDMD for ‘404’ DME to hopefully eliminate code. little if any change on rpm/idle
            Still had CANBUS ERROR CODE. Seems AUTO harness /DME may be different than MANUAL DME?

3. Purch DME from ’95 540 manual- 6spd Bosch ‘484’ manual DME but HAS EWS.
            Sent up to DUDMD . Installed EWS emulator.
            RESULTS: NO CANBUS CODE
            NO hanging idle almost no pop/crack on decel. Best drivability smooth power etc.
            Passed Calif BAR YES !!
            PROBLEM: ‘484’ W/ EMULATOR has FAILED 2x’s now . Approx 500 miles and EWS reappears . Just died 2x yesterday.

FIX 1:
            Talked with DUDMD ,who has been helpful and prompt, sent DME back to him. He said emulator EWS number code/pairing? had changed somehow. He reset and returned. worked as before – until yesterday... after 1st failure I put spare 404 DME in trunk .
            FIX 2:
            I will call DUDMD next week see what’s what.

I don’t think the original EWS emulator was replaced- just reset-
            I needed a quick turnaround on first failure due to my BAR appointment sched. So could be junk DME or Emulator. I may put together a 2nd setup for comparison longevity etc.

Again this setup, manual ‘484’ / emulator gave noticeably better drivability performance for me.
            Also checking into WAR chip application.
            My CA legal M60 swap

Comment

Interesting! Keep us updated. I've just about had it with my throttle tip-in hesitation and exhaust backfire.

I noticed ProgRama sells a reman DME that covers the 404/484 and others, I'm curious what the EWS situation is with that, and if it's for auto or manual. Cheap too!

Mercedes Benz, BMW and Volvo ECUs, Climate Control Units, Instrument Cluster repairs, Lowering modules for MB, Porsche, Bentley
              Last edited by JGood; 09-26-2015, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Awesome stuff!
                Originally posted by Matt-B
                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Interesting! Keep us updated. I've just about had it with my throttle tip-in hesitation and exhaust backfire.

I noticed ProgRama sells a reman DME that covers the 404/484 and others, I'm curious what the EWS situation is with that, and if it's for auto or manual. Cheap too!

http://www.programainc.com/product_d...sf=12141427366

I definitely will keep you guys in the loop!

Yea, I don't know what to say about that because as far as I can tell there are 4 different DME options for a 404 manual, 404 auto, 484 manual, and auto. and the 404s and 484s are definitely different.
                  My CA legal M60 swap

Comment

These guys are amazing worth giving them a call about the DME . RPM Motorsports pretty sure they have a Cali office. Congrats of the swap I'm heading down that road in the coming months

Comment

Originally posted by ging View Post
                      These guys are amazing worth giving them a call about the DME . RPM Motorsports pretty sure they have a Cali office. Congrats of the swap I'm heading down that road in the coming months
                      Thanx Their name came up in another post I was reading somewhere. I will give them a call.
                      My CA legal M60 swap

Comment

Update on the DME situation:

We tested a stock 404 vs a 404 with DuddMd chip in it last night and the Dudmd definitely runs better than the stock 404, no more rev hang on shifts and a lot less popping.

That being said the manual 484 still runs better IMO. The Duddmd helps though!

We are sending the 484 to Duddmd today to see what happened with the EWS, will let you guys know.
                        Last edited by 36brua; 09-29-2015, 01:50 PM.
                        My CA legal M60 swap

Comment

Awesome work.
                          Getting my obd2 s52 through the bar inspection was hell but well worth it in the end.
                          Project
                          Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by arch4ngel View Post
                            Awesome work.
                            Getting my obd2 s52 through the bar inspection was hell but well worth it in the end.
                            Thanks ! but an OBD 2 BAR swap is impressive . Especially in an E30. how did you handle vapor recovery ?
                            where id you go for BAR ?
                            My CA legal M60 swap

Comment

It's detailed in my project thread.
                              Basically vapor recovery is stock e36 except the e30 evap tank.
                              I'm hoping to put together a how-to thread in the near future.

BAR inspection was at the Alameda college location.
                              Inspector was a stickler for exhaust modifications but everything else was fairly straightforward.
                              Project
                              Feedback

Comment

Working...
                              X