Verifying/Setting Base Timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Verifying/Setting Base Timing?

I've read on the MS manual that you must verify base timing with a timing light. When I checked my timing on the crank, it seems to be off by about 10* before TDC on the crank mark. I am also Wasted Spark now, not distributor. Is this normal, or do I need to adjust this in MS? Does anyone have any information on this? The car runs good with the base timing map provided by MS, but i'm curious if this needs to be adjusted.

Thanks!
    - AXIS POWERS - 2JZ E30 Build
    Current Project - 87 325is 2JZ Swapped with M4 DCT

It would only be off if your 60-2 crank wheel settings were wrong. What version of MS do you have?

Did you set your ignition to fixed, and then check with the light? what trigger point were you using to test? The line on the crank & front engine cover is small and hard to see.

When you say the base map "provided by MS" what do you mean? By a MS vendor?

In the end - if it is off, it's not the end of the world if it's running well - however, it means your ignition map is also off by 10 degrees, which is a problem if you're tuning and expecting a certain amount of ignition advance for an engine, or sharing ignition maps.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Base timing links Mega Squirt

Hello, I had the same issue a few weeks ago, here are the two links that I followed to get mine right. Basically it sounds like yours is correct, but follow these and see what you come up with:

Learn how to set the base ignition timing on any MS2/MS3 MegaSquirt ECU using a timing light, and why it's important!

MegaSquirtPNP Plug-N-Play Standalone Engine Management Systems by DIYAutoTune.com

The second one is for PnP, but I followed it on my non PNP and it worked great. Hope this helps!

Gerry D

Comment

Working...
      X