M60 Auto Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60 Auto Swap

Looking for some info on a E30 M60 with a auto transmission..

My plans are a M60B44 with 5HP18, 404 DME and loom with a M60B40 front timing case.

Any reason why this will not work?

Car is only being built as a Grunty cruiser not building for racing or drifting.

Now I understand the 5HP30 is a bigger stronger box however they are know for their problems and the 5HP18 is a more reliable box.

I'm aware that their is tunnel bashing required with the 5HP30 but I'm hoping to avoid this with the smaller 5HP18. I will probably use garagistic mounts and notch the sump to avoid the subframe spacers.

If the 5HP18 destroys itself I will likely have a gearbox shop build a strong one.

Has anyone done this combo before, can offer any advice on prop shafts ect?

Cheers
    Last edited by JermMer; 04-27-2017, 02:46 PM.

I did try fitting S50 with 5HP18 and it did not fit, and it looked like hammer would not work, part of a tunnel has to be cut out

Comment

The 5HP24 has a removable bellhousing. It *may* fit the 4HP22/24, allowing you to use the 4HP box with your M60B44. It's plenty strong enough, especially if built as a 24.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
        The 5HP24 has a removable bellhousing. It *may* fit the 4HP22/24, allowing you to use the 4HP box with your M60B44. It's plenty strong enough, especially if built as a 24.
        Aim also considering an auto swap
        So to do this ....what else needs to be done

I assume I will have to get the ecu for the 4hp/22
        What about wiring?
        Thanks

Comment

You'll need wiring to connect the EGS (electronic gear selection) to the transmission.
          The best course of action would probably be to use an aftermarket controller in order to set the shift mapping up to match your engine and driving style. Since the 4HP's were never used with the M60's, the shift points and pressure control aren't going to be right for the engine's power band and torque.

There were also non-electronic versions of the transmission, but tuning them requires getting oily.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
            You'll need wiring to connect the EGS (electronic gear selection) to the transmission.
            The best course of action would probably be to use an aftermarket controller in order to set the shift mapping up to match your engine and driving style. Since the 4HP's were never used with the M60's, the shift points and pressure control aren't going to be right for the engine's power band and torque.
            I have spoken to our local aftermarket tuner before I stripped my 540i donor.
            I started getting the annoying trans program error on the cluster,
            It used to just come up randomly put the car in limp mode.
            I had a known bad battery in the car so I figured it must be that, cause I could just switch the car of and start up again with no problems for the day.

There were also non-electronic versions of the transmission, tuning them requires getting oily.
            A little more info please regarding the above , looking to start my swap in October just preparing if my zf5hp30 looks into retirement.
            Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X